Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beds

Sleepless nights w all this let me tell you. It seems like profit and insurance companies are all that matters anymore. These places discharge you and just forget about you or worse, don’t know what they are doing. My wife had encephalopathy in March when she had sepsis and has been mentally and emotionally unable to really stay on top of all this and I have been dealing with it on my own. I don’t want to let her down.

Quote Originally Posted by Crannible View Post
    Sleepless nights w all this let me tell you. It seems like profit and insurance companies are all that matters anymore. These places discharge you and just forget about you or worse, don’t know what they are doing. My wife had encephalopathy in March when she had sepsis and has been mentally and emotionally unable to really stay on top of all this and I have been dealing with it on my own. I don’t want to let her down.
    If you want change tell your congressional delegates that you want a single payer system. Their are probably too many vested interests for us to overcome as mere voters, but if we don't try it's definitely not going to change.

A single payer system would provide more services at lower cost and eliminate all of the numerous current incentives to pump people through not really caring if you fix them or not and off load the costs of mismanagement and therapeutic misadventures on someone else further down the line.

Could I take the bed and then later by my own overlay? Like would the Geo-Matt be easily installed over the standard hospital bed mattress?

Can you get her into outpatient therapy and medical care at Shirley Ryan (formerly called RIC)?

You can certainly take the hospital bed frame offered, and the standard hospital mattress, then add your own Geomatt or Biogard AFT foam overlay. Just keep in mind that this will make the sleep surface higher from the floor, which can be a problem for transfers (and increased fall risk) for some.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Funklab: I am all for single payer. This system sucks. Emergency rooms and hospitals in general can save people’s luves only to send them out into the world feeling helpless, financially drained and ignorant. I am so bitter about this.

SCI Nurse: I appreciate everything you’ve given me. I just wish somebody could tell me what to do. Too many choices, no way to know what to do, not enough hours in a day...so overwhelmed.

Trying to get her into Shirley Ryan day rehab.

I got a alternating air mattress off Amazon for about 50.00 made by drive medical. I can set the mattress from soft to very firm. I have been on the same one for just over 3 years. Have not had any pressure sores.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    I got a alternating air mattress off Amazon for about 50.00 made by drive medical. I can set the mattress from soft to very firm. I have been on the same one for just over 3 years. Have not had any pressure sores.
    You are lucky. Those devices have no scientific evidence of effectiveness.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Works great for me, spent several days in a hotel bed and woke stiff every morning since did not bring it. Also feel very stiff and sore if I forget to turn it on.

Very difficult time for you both, Crannible. It sounds like you are up for the task as you are reaching out for help.
    Husband and I, both paralyzed and elderly, have "hospital type" beds (resisted them for years) that we cannot function without. I must put up the head of the bed and grab the side rail to sit up in the morning. I flatten the bed and then manipulate the up/down feature to transfer in or out of my wheelchair - doing a "gravity transfer" where you are always going downward doing the transfer. One suggestion is to consider the aging process and to look at any equipment that will be needed in the coming months/years, such as tub/shower bench.
    I must use adult protection briefs for overnight, so I don't have to get out of bed to urinate at night. However, it is important to have a waterproof pad laying on top of the sheet to catch any overflow or drip. We purchased several of these through amazon - they are about 3'X3', the white side is absorbent and lays directly under the person, while the blue side is waterproof, thus protecting the bedsheet. Depending how often your laundry is done, you may want a few of these. These type of pads also come much larger, mattress size, and we rarely use the ones we have of those.

In regard to female urinals: Some months ago I was unable to transfer to the toilet during daytime. During this 2 month period I ordered about 10 different female urinals to attempt to use while in my wheelchair. None of them were workable for me. In addition I would not have been able to use them in bed due to the maneuvering necessary to use them successfully. Thus, I have stayed with the "overnight briefs" with waterproof bedpad, and an intensive home PT and OT program helped me again be able to transfer to the toilet in daytime.

If there is a Patient Advocate at the rehab. center, suggest you meet with this person. Perhaps they are called Discharge Planner. Anyway, get their name and phone number and dump ALL questions and concerns onto this person whose job it is to secure a good transition from rehab to home. If you find yourself at a loss for handling some of this, reach out and call this person. A trusted family member or friend can also be a "go to" person to discuss concerns or issues and ponder solutions. This website, CareCure is an invaluable help as well!
    Very best to you and your wife!