Thread: Are pink spots really something to worry about?

Are pink spots really something to worry about?

I am almost 2 months post flap surgery on my ischiums and have been into my sitting program for 6 days now and I can sit up for 1 hour twice daily. After every episode of sitting the scar and skin near the flap site seems to be irritated and is pink (the flap itself looks untouched). The pink spots are blanchable and disappear after half an hour. No matter how long I sit, it is always there, it looks the same after 15 minutes and after an hour of sitting. Should I worry about that? Is it normal that the skin is so fragile? Will it build tolerance?The whole scar from IT down to my thigh is pink all the time. Do you often get pink spots after sitting for a few hours? I get them everywhere all the time. My whole side is pink from side lying for 1 hour - not only the trochanter (I've never had a pressure injury there) but the whole side of chest is pinkish although I broke T12. I'm asking because I came across many threads here on CareCure regarding issues with blanchable red/pink spots on bony prominences and there are always the same pieces of advice saying stay off of it and reevaluate your cushion or mattress. That sounds ridiculous and overprotective. I always thought that getting pink marks after lying or sitting is normal unless it does not fade away within an hour. And now I'm panicking because I don't want to be on bedrest for nearly 2 months anymore. So do you tend to get reddish marks on butt, trochanters or coccyx or not?

Do the areas blanch? If so, and they fade to normal within 20-30 minutes, you are probably OK.

Unfortunately scar tissue, either from primary intention healing or surgical scar, will always be weaker than normal skin. In addition, it takes about 12 months for the scar to completely mature.

Doing a slowing graduated sitting program such as you describe is the best way to monitor how your skin is tolerating your new sitting, but if you get red areas that don't blanch and don't fade in 20-30 minutes, you do need to cut back or even stay down for a couple of days so this can heal.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Re
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do the areas blanch? If so, and they fade to normal within 20-30 minutes, you are probably OK.

Unfortunately scar tissue, either from primary intention healing or surgical scar, will always be weaker than normal skin. In addition, it takes about 12 months for the scar to completely mature.

Doing a slowing graduated sitting program such as you describe is the best way to monitor how your skin is tolerating your new sitting, but if you get red areas that don't blanch and don't fade in 20-30 minutes, you do need to cut back or even stay down for a couple of days so this can heal.

(KLD)

The areas always blanch. The scar itself also turns white when pressed with a finger although it does not fade and stays pink all the time but that's normal for a scar.

I think getting red marks after a few hours of sitting or lying is common among people with SCI but they don't know about it because they are often negligent to inspect their skin regularly. They aren't even familiar with the skin's normal appearance. And then I come across threads on CC with OPs seeking advice regarding red marks on butt or any other vulnerable area (nothing said about blanching) and I see wonderful advice from other members or even nurses - 'stay off of it till it fades'. Sorry but that's ridiculous. I often get red marks on my elbows because I read books or use my laptop in prone position and the marks don't fade for even a few hours! Does it mean I already got first stage pressure sore on my elbow despite being a paraplegic? In my opinion suggesting stage of a pressure sore or deep tissue injury (yes I saw once this suggestion) without actually seeing OP and assessing the area is highly inappropriate.