Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop recomendiations

laptop recomendiations

what would you recommend? my budget 450 to 650. i want this for music and video. picture display and audio being the most important. been looking at the dell Inspiron 17 5000. does manufacturer make a difference. hp dell acer asus. amd or intel? i never know what to make of ppl's reviews. like pcmag. screw them. i don't have $1000.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Seeing video and audio music are all stream services like YouTube, Netflix, Google music, Slacker etc why not just get a chromebook?

$200 and your good. Laptops are way to expensive and outdated before you get it home!!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-15...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Check ebay for re-certified laptops & peripherals. I recently purchased the following laptop for $344.27 including tax and free shipping:

Dell Inspiron Description:

• Model: 15 3567 Re-certified
    • Processor Type: Intel Core i3 7th Gen.
    • Processor Speed: 2.40GHz
    • Memory: 8GB
    • Storage Type: HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
    • Hard Drive Capacity: 2TB SATA
    • Screen Size: 15.6in HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display
    • 7th Generation Intel Core i3-7100U (3MB Cache, 2.40 GHz)
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to [16GB] (additional memory sold separately)
    • Intel HD graphics 620, with shared graphics memory
    • 2TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    • 3 in 1 Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5Ghz, 1x1
    • Color: Black, Non-Touch
    • 1 x HDMI
    • 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
    • DVD: SuperMulti DVD Burner

Also purchased a re-certified Acer V V226HQL Abmd 21.5" Widescreen LED LCD Monitor for $62.61.
    Last edited by tprewitt; 06-11-2018 at 01:22 PM.

no pc . guess i'll but it on hold. SOAB!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    screw them. i don't have $1000.
    I always buy a little behind the curve. The bleeding edge can be painful.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

no pc . guess i'll but it on hold. SOAB!
    Damn, sorry that happened. It looks like it had good tread too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

In 2016, I bought an Acer Aspire from Walmart for $399.00 and it did everything that I needed. Then a year later my cousin wanted to buy me a laptop and got me one from Best Buy. It was an HP Touchscreen, but it didn't have a CD/DVD-ROM drive and it was very difficult to upgrade the ram and HDD so I returned it and bought another Acer Aspire (nearly identical to my first) and all in all, I'm happy with it. If for some reason I needed a new laptop, I'd look at another Acer.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Damn, sorry that happened. It looks like it had good tread too.
    WOW and LOL. That's all I can. Just got word after 8 weeks Medicare said no to a hospital bed. I got one no problem 37 years ago. And I didn't even postural hypertension then. GREED! As for that tire. A mechanic recently said they were dry rotted. They didn't look bad at all to me. The picture with no air in tire makes it show how bad they really were. Luckily my PCA only drove down the street 1/4 mile when it happened. BTW tires Michellins 12 years old w/19k. I just stopped traveling beyond 25 miles after 06.
    Bob Seger

i want this for music and video. picture display and audio being the most important.
    How large are you comfortable handling?

Will you be listening through the built-in speakers? Or, earbuds? BT headset?

Is this solely for music/video (i.e., an "entertainment appliance")? Will you ever need to "type" (text) on it?

Will all of your media be sourced externally (i.e., do you need media card readers on the device? CD/DVD drive?)? Or, will you want to be able to store some amount of content on the device semi-permanently? Presumably, you'd prefer wireless connection to that media tank? (or, will you be streaming everything from "on-line" services?)

What sort of battery life are you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    I always buy a little behind the curve. The bleeding edge can be painful.
    +42

Playing music and video isn't a particularly challenging set of applications. I suspect you can find a model that is SEVERAL years old (and, thus, dirt cheap) that will fit the bill -- barring other concerns (e.g., having a reliable battery). I purchase most of my laptops at local auctions for < $50:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-EliteBook-8730w-Mobile-Workstation/3784202

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2066...ion_m6500.html

But, they truly fill your "lap"....