Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpal Tunnel Treatment for Para in a Manual Chair

KLD,

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on in a few days. My numbness has always been just a few fingers at a time and it seems to be the tips first if I catch it before it spreads (it has never extended past my fingers to the main part of my hands). My pinky and ring finger seem to go numb first, but my thumb goes numb often as well.

-Shawn

This pattern is not what you would see in CTS. Have you actually been diagnosed with this by a physician or is this a self-diagnosis? You need to see someone who can make a proper diagnosis of the type of nerve compression issue you have before going to see a therapist and pursuing other treatment options. This can be a physiatrist or neurologist. Most primary care physicians do not have that expertise.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Agree with the RN KLD. You should see your doctor and have an examination to see what is causing your problem. Physiatrist or neurologist - not primary care doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Joke is true. My CTS went away completely after changing my keyboard position and taking frequent breaks. It also helped my shoulders. Basically, the keyboard was so high that I was shrugging my shoulders and/or bending my wrists backwards 8 hours per day.
    Lucky you, but manual wheelchair users, and crutch/can walkers are at high risk for developing CTS. It is not just from computer use/ergonomics.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks again for input. I'll try to find the right doc.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Lucky you, but manual wheelchair users, and crutch/can walkers are at high risk for developing CTS. It is not just from computer use/ergonomics.

(KLD)
    It's repetitive use be it computer or something else. Same solution applies. Stop doing it so much. Take breaks. Do it differently. Use compression bandages. Stretch and strengthen. Last resort is a doctor. Then again, I am allergic to doctors. But I do trust a select few.
    Last edited by August West; 06-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.