Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: The Myocycle FES bike Thread.

  1. #1

    The Myocycle FES bike Thread.

    Last April Matt and Alan from Myolyn FES bikes (Functional Electrical Stimulation) gave me a tour of their facility in Gainesville Florida, I was very impressed. I feel they have a great product for around the 8000 Dollar level. It is a very good design and fairly compact and gives a great workout. I feel more people with SCI and other neurological conditions should be using FES. There are many reasons, one of the main ones being pressure sore prevention and better overall health through exercise. I'd like to get a discussion going about the Myocycle in this thread. Does anyone here have one or tried one? Here is the link to their their website. https://www.myolyn.com
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-16-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  2. #2
    Thank you for the kind words, Curt. I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

  3. #3
    I had stopped using mine for a couple of months and have seen my physical conditioning decline so I can say with 100 percent certainty FES bike riding really does help out and gives a person with SCI better overall health. I think if people can take the time out of their day to do a 45 minute ride once every other day they will see better overall health. Just editing this to say as of today I'm back to using mine every other day.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-16-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  4. #4
    Just corrected the spelling error I made in the title of this thread "Myocycle" Sorry Matt, I guess I was typing too fast. I am back to using my FES bike, then hot tub for stretching leg muscles followed on the odd day by Standing up for a while outside with my Standing wheelchair. All these are good healthy things vs just sitting in the wheelchair all the time.

    Matt, are you having much luck working with the health insurance companies in getting any amounts of the cost of these FES bikes covered? To me, even if insurance does not cover the cost in my opinion I think people are better off reorganizing their priorities and putting more of their own money towards their own health as that is the single most important thing, you can't turn back the hands of time when the body gets too out of shape. I'd suggest maybe families pitch in, the church, anything. I know a lot of people don't want to hear this as they don't want to feel like a charity case, but most people like to help out and SCI is a very serious medical condition. A person can age a lot better by proper exercise, diet, etc. I do think FES can contribute to the quality of ones life.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-16-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  5. #5
    I don't see any physical changes from using my RT300 FES bike to not using it, the main benefit for me is mental, it gives me a routine to stick to and I can "race" other users on the RT Strava group.

    I rent my RT300 as they are a crazy price to buy, Myocyle isn't available in the UK if it was and priced like the US I'd give serious consideration to buying.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I don't see any physical changes from using my RT300 FES bike to not using it, the main benefit for me is mental, it gives me a routine to stick to and I can "race" other users on the RT Strava group.

    I rent my RT300 as they are a crazy price to buy, Myocyle isn't available in the UK if it was and priced like the US I'd give serious consideration to buying.
    Good your using one, whether you know it or not you are getting a good cardio vascular workout and bettering you health. You have not noticed your legs increase in size? Mine do a lot when I use mine on a regular basis, if I use it at too high a level my legs get too heavy and it's harder to move around so I'm mindful of what levels I workout with now.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Good your using one, whether you know it or not you are getting a good cardio vascular workout and bettering you health. You have not noticed your legs increase in size? Mine do a lot when I use mine on a regular basis, if I use it at too high a level my legs get too heavy and it's harder to move around so I'm mindful of what levels I workout with now.
    Legs did increase at first but not now. Cardio vascular? Heart rate goes up 10bpm not enough to make any difference. A recent discussion on the RT Strava group re pressure sores concluded that there was no improvement for the majority of those posting. The biggest improvement I've seen on power output was when I had a pleural effusion and needed oxygen as well as my vent, confirmation that pro cyclists do benefit from any drugs that help increase oxygen in blood levels. For me the biggest benefit is mental, I ride almost every day usually for 90 minutes, day is structured around that, finish ride between 11-11.30 changed and working by 12.One of the big advantages of working for my self.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Matt, are you having much luck working with the health insurance companies in getting any amounts of the cost of these FES bikes covered? To me, even if insurance does not cover the cost in my opinion I think people are better off reorganizing their priorities and putting more of their own money towards their own health as that is the single most important thing, you can't turn back the hands of time when the body gets too out of shape. I'd suggest maybe families pitch in, the church, anything. I know a lot of people don't want to hear this as they don't want to feel like a charity case, but most people like to help out and SCI is a very serious medical condition. A person can age a lot better by proper exercise, diet, etc. I do think FES can contribute to the quality of ones life.
    We are having some success with insurance companies. However, it's always a case-by-case basis. To help cover what insurance won't, we help customers with anything from fundraising through Help Hope Live to financing through state programs. Our mission is to make it so people who want FES bikes can get them, regardless of their situation, so we do what we can to drive the price down and help those that still need financial aid.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Legs did increase at first but not now. Cardio vascular? Heart rate goes up 10bpm not enough to make any difference. A recent discussion on the RT Strava group re pressure sores concluded that there was no improvement for the majority of those posting. The biggest improvement I've seen on power output was when I had a pleural effusion and needed oxygen as well as my vent, confirmation that pro cyclists do benefit from any drugs that help increase oxygen in blood levels. For me the biggest benefit is mental, I ride almost every day usually for 90 minutes, day is structured around that, finish ride between 11-11.30 changed and working by 12.One of the big advantages of working for my self.
    The benefits of FES-cycling, like everything else, vary wildly from person to person. Anyone whose muscles respond to the stimulation will get the benefits of relaxation of muscle spasms, increased local blood flow, maintenance of range of motion, and reversal of muscle atrophy. Of course, the extent of these benefits will depend on how much you use the bike. Many people have reported benefits beyond these, ranging from better sleep and mood to recovery of sensation and volitional function. It depends on the nature of the injury/illness and many other factors (diet, medications, other activities, etc.).
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bellman View Post


    The benefits of FES-cycling, like everything else, vary wildly from person to person. Anyone whose muscles respond to the stimulation will get the benefits of relaxation of muscle spasms, increased local blood flow, maintenance of range of motion, and reversal of muscle atrophy. Of course, the extent of these benefits will depend on how much you use the bike. Many people have reported benefits beyond these, ranging from better sleep and mood to recovery of sensation and volitional function. It depends on the nature of the injury/illness and many other factors (diet, medications, other activities, etc.).
    Any benefit from training is always individual to the person. I'm sure that there are benefits but all I found was reversing the atrophy on my legs, quads specifically. At one point I did think that it helped increase blood flow to help repair pressure sores but couldn't say for definite. I only do between 10 and 12 hours a week on it, 5-7 sessions and have hit a plateau with increasing resistance or RPM which could be why I am not seeing more benefits. Wouldn't be without it purely because of the mental benefits but couldn't justify the cost of an RT machine here in the UK. Depending upon how you distribute and can get prices closer to the US there is definitely a place in the market once you get approval sorted.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    An island in the middle of the Pacific
    Posts
    48

    We like our Myocycle

    My wife used an RT300 while in hospital. I was all set to buy a used RT when I learned that you must hire a factory service person to come set it up for you. They won't talk to you until you're under contract. No support of any kind.
    Fortunately, on this very forum I'd seen that Myolyn had just achieved FDA approval. We bought one. Good decision.
    I just blindly asked her what she thinks it's doing for her. She replied that "my leg muscles don't droop off the bones like they used to." Not exactly a corporate slogan, but a pretty good testimonial.
    While you don't have to push at all (for those that can't), the real charm is that you can push as much as you can. The machine feels your effort and at the end of each session it messages Myolyn, whom emails you a weekly report on what you have achieved.
    Bottom line: if a fire swallowed it, we'd be on the horn ordering another.

Similar Threads

  1. Bike-on Stricker attachable hand bike special
    By fuentejps in forum Manufacturer & Vendor Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
  3. spin bike versus recumbent bike
    By janacv in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •