Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any clever ideas for adaptive equipment when recovering from a pressure sore?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Another 6 months on...can’t believe how long skin takes to grow...it’s only just fully covered the pressure sore area. That’s over a year since the sore appeared...a fifteenth of his life!

Thankfully his life has been back to normal since early 2019. No more referred pain, which we’ve taken as a good indicator that his butt isn’t feeling pain any more. He’s back to full-on sports again (parabadminton being the main one) and has put a bit of weight back on, which is good, as he lost a bit when doing nothing last year.

No more prontosan/dressing changes, but he is now using a duoderm patch for protection, as the area is still redder than the surrounding area. Dr and nurses at his last check-up were ecstatic at the condition of his butt, which was a bit amusing to see/hear!
    I'm a T6 complete as well, and the stage 2 sore I had years ago took about the same amount of time to heal. One suggestion I thought I would share is switching to a Ride Designs cushion (I use the Java) has been a huge help for me over the years. My pressure sore was on my left ischium, which now floats in my Ride cushion so it gets zero pressure. However the pressure is redistributed to my hips (trochanters) so I have to be careful about that but the skin in that area is tougher for me so I haven't had any issues. I'm pretty skinny as well so I don't have much natural padding anymore. Glad to hear your son has recovered at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I'm a T6 complete as well, and the stage 2 sore I had years ago took about the same amount of time to heal. One suggestion I thought I would share is switching to a Ride Designs cushion (I use the Java) has been a huge help for me over the years. My pressure sore was on my left ischium, which now floats in my Ride cushion so it gets zero pressure. However the pressure is redistributed to my hips (trochanters) so I have to be careful about that but the skin in that area is tougher for me so I haven't had any issues. I'm pretty skinny as well so I don't have much natural padding anymore. Glad to hear your son has recovered at this point.
    Thanks Brad. He’s now using a Roho. I forget which one, but it’s air filled at the rear, foam at the front, and the air-filled sections can be at different pressures left/right. The primary cause of the pressure sore was his previous cushion being deliberately elevated slightly on one side to try and get his hips to sit square, to theoretically improve his scoliosis. The sore occurred at the point where the elevated inserts started, so well in front of his ischium. I was a little concerned that the sore would be directly above the inflated/foam transition point in his Roho, but that’s definitely not the case, and he was pressure mapped when several cushions were trialled, so we’re pretty confident that what he’s currently got is fine. Although I must admit that the Ride Designs cushion wasn’t one that was available for trial. In fact I’m not sure if there is a supplier of that cushion anywhere near us.

Yep, our son hasn’t got much natural padding either. I guess that means there’s not too much excess weight above either, which is presumably a good thing, less load acting on the cushion!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

After 22 years I got my first (only?) pressure sore, ischial stage 4.
    At the time and for several years prior, my cushions were the Roho Sport? which is a fairly low profile pneumatic inside a foam peripheral surround.
    Cause in the matter may have been a very long drive (Florida to NJ) in two days without a cushion on the car seat, but when I went through the subsequent wound travail, I was pressure mapped and that sport roho was quite inadequate compared to the Roho Quad!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ