Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to manage a stove?

Question How to manage a stove?

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this. I know I could do a countertop with elements either on a regular counter or on an island for cooking. But I?m trying to figure out if there's someway for me as a quadriplegic with some hand dexterity to manage a oven. Not that I am going to be cooking a lot of the time but I was trying to figure out if there?s someway to get things in and out without dumping them on the floor. And without burning myself. Do people just put in oven that are raised and maybe have a swing away door instead of a fold down door? And then basically just transfer stuff onto their lap with maybe some sort of board or heat resistant pad? Or do you just get things in there that you can stab with a long cooking for can pull them out like that onto a plate?

I don?t know. For those of you that have a stove/oven and use it how do you manage doing it? How is it set up in your kitchen?
    Last edited by RJC; 06-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.

don/t try I have pretty good balance and hands c6c7 I dam near fell in the oven taking cookies out crockpot is ur best friend I bought a nice oven for 80.00 at Walmart on a table I bake cakes bread pies meatloafs . use table prep and when done slide it on table to cool also I am get a air frier so far I have not burned my self or dropped now Monday I will

My insurance paid for a side swing wall oven, under which we installed a rollout counter.

This is the one.

Here's a pic, apologies for the grime!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    My insurance paid for a side swing wall oven, under which we installed a rollout counter.

This is the one.

Very great! I wish we had such an oven. Ours couldn't be less useful to me. It's under the counter, the door is big/swings down, and the island is behind when dealing with it!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

This is the one.

Nice!

This is the one.

Wow, looking at your oven and shelf I would think it would be popular in the AB world too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

This is the one.

Thats exactly what i was thinking...cook, let it cool a little and slide out on a pull out shelve........ thanks

Here's my kitchen. I went with a stovetop on drawer slides and a GE Advantium oven. The island is key. I sit at the island with one wheel locked, then swing back and forth to the sink, stove, or oven using just one hand while holding items with the other hand.

For heavier items requiring both hands to move in/out of the oven, I open the drawer under the oven to support the door, rest a long piece of plywood between the oven door and the island, then slide the item across the plywood. The oven door is plastic so it won't burn.

Another reason for choosing the GE advantium oven is that it is also a microwave. No sense it making the oven accessible and then putting the microwave on the counter, which is not so accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Here's my kitchen. I went with a stovetop on drawer slides and a GE Advantium oven. The island is key. I sit at the island with one wheel locked, then swing back and forth to the sink, stove, or oven using just one hand while holding items with the other hand.

For heavier items requiring both hands to move in/out of the oven, I open the drawer under the oven to support the door, rest a long piece of plywood between the oven door and the island, then slide the item across the plywood. The oven door is plastic so it won't burn.

Another reason for choosing the GE advantium oven is that it is also a microwave. No sense it making the oven accessible and then putting the microwave on the counter, which is not so accessible.
    That's a nice setup

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Wow, looking at your oven and shelf I would think it would be popular in the AB world too.
    Thanks. I spent many, many hours with an excellent OT, my partner and contractor creating a universal aesthetic. Here's the rest of the kitchen.