Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowered Cooktop

Lowered Cooktop

Anybody have one? Brand, features, likes dislikes? Can it be raised and lowered reliably? Wonder how uncomfortable it is for an able bodied person to cook on a lower height burner?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thought you meant lowered countertop with cooktop. That's what we have. We're two wheeler couple and we're at different heights, seated. We took measurements to make sure both of us could go under countertop without touching knees, then had it built with about 1" clearance for him. It's a tad high for me but I'm the chief cook and have not had any trouble using the cooktop. If you can picture this, there's a wall at the left then the countertop starts with about 1' space (toaster space and a small cabinet above); then the cooktop which has the controls in front - one time in about 17 years a party guest accidentally leaned and somehow one burner went on low, which I spotted and turned off; to the right of the cooktop there's workspace - maybe 2 feet, then the sink, which is one large one, not divided, then the dishwasher.
    Will add that the hood above the cooktop is too low in my opinion, and I never saw the issue when installed. However, I can reach to turn the fan on and off. There are cabinets above this countertop, lowered, but hard to reach the upper shelf inside, so most stuff on bottom shelf.
    Perhaps I've given you TMI....I have no experience with powered cooktops but always read up on them. I don't think I would want this due to our situation of two wheelers - it seems we would leave it at one height anyway. Powered cabinets would be nice. We end up putting lots of stuff in our pantry.

If you have a non-disabled person using the cooktop, measure their needs and yours. If they are tall and the cooktop would be out of whack for you, maybe consider having a rolling chair handy for the walker person to use. I believe I've seen them for kitchen use. If the cooktop would need to be adjusted frequently I can see where powered would be handy.
    Since our kitchen remodel was so long ago, you have more choices now and it would be great for you to get a set-up that's comfortable for you.

Standard counter height is 36". My stovetop is at 33" and my BBQ is at 30". While 30" is significantly better than 33" for me, it's no big deal for someone standing.

The reason I went with 33" not 30" is because the rest of the counter is at 33" for the sink and I wanted my stovetop height to be flush with the rest of the counter. If I were to do it again, I would get a special sink (low profile) and lower the entire countertop to 30". No need to have adjustable height for others. Others use my BBQ at 30" without straining. If you are concerned about resale value, then that's a different story. Where height becomes important for others is the prep counter. While it's easy for someone to cook at 30" while standing, it isn't so easy for them to prep at 30". The counter above the dishwasher will have to remain at 36". They can use that area for prep.

I put my stovetop on rollers so it pulls out like a drawer. That way I have storage space underneath and still have clearance for my knees.

Brand really isn't important. What's important is that it's low profile to minimize height above the knee. Mine is about 5" tall. Maybe you could find one that is shorter, but probably not less than 4".
    Last edited by August West; 06-09-2018 at 05:48 PM.

My kitchen sink counter is standard (36"), while my cooktop counter is lower (33"). Both have ~28" clearance form me to get underneath in both my manual and electric chair.

My partner has no problem using the cooktop, but she's 5'2"!

Reposting from the oven thread:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    My kitchen sink counter is standard (36"), while my cooktop counter is lower (33"). Both have ~28" clearance form me to get underneath in both my manual and electric chair.

Very nice setup. Nice job, quality craftsmanship and master craft. Large open windows, stainless steel appliances, solid wood kitchen table, looks elegant. Looks rich!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Very nice setup. Nice job, quality craftsmanship and master craft. Large open windows, stainless steel appliances, solid wood kitchen table, looks elegant. Looks rich!

Ti
    Yeah, what he said.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

Ti
    Heh, I wish! The entire renovation was around $140k, 2/3 of which was covered by my insurance. We spent the extra money to keep the value and quality high. You can check out my Facebook album to see the before and after pics.

New house pics

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post

You have a beautiful kitchen. I am glad it works for you. But why do you need 28" clearance? Maybe you are super tall. I am 5'11" and 25" clearance works for me. That way, I can have my sink counter at 33". The 3" lower counter greatly reduces shoulder pain. They didn't hurt when I was in my 20s. They hurts now that I am in my 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You have a beautiful kitchen. I am glad it works for you. But why do you need 28" clearance? Maybe you are super tall. I am 5'11" and 25" clearance works for me. That way, I can have my sink counter at 33". The 3" lower counter greatly reduces shoulder pain. They didn't hurt when I was in my 20s. They hurts now that I am in my 50s.
    I'm only an inch taller, but sometimes I'll use my electric chair which brings my knees up a couple inches.