Thread: uneven swelling in foot/leg...what's up with that?

uneven swelling in foot/leg...what's up with that?

I?m a C5/6, 17 yrs. post injury. My legs, ankles and feet have been swollen this whole time, as you can imagine?, and the left side slightly more than the right.

The past week or so my RIGHT side has been more swollen, especially my foot, during the day. In the morning the difference isn?t as marked and they are both significantly smaller but once I?m up in my chair the right foot ?inflates?. There?s been no change in color, and both feel the same temperature to the touch.

Doesn?t look like a DVT?or could it be? I have a "greenfield" (IVC) filter, BTW. Any other ideas?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    I?m a C5/6, 17 yrs. post injury. My legs, ankles and feet have been swollen this whole time, as you can imagine?, and the left side slightly more than the right.

The past week or so my RIGHT side has been more swollen, especially my foot, during the day. In the morning the difference isn?t as marked and they are both significantly smaller but once I?m up in my chair the right foot ?inflates?. There?s been no change in color, and both feel the same temperature to the touch.

Doesn?t look like a DVT?or could it be? I have a "greenfield" (IVC) filter, BTW. Any other ideas?
    I just was told if its hot and swollen u got a problem my swell everday I can not where hose as I cannot take of at night but I try to hit the rack at ten down 9 hrs

You could certainly have a DVT. You need to call your provider and ask to have a venous Doppler study done. If a left leg swells more than the right, it may be an indication of constipation or impaction, but if your bowels are doing fine, and your more severe swelling is on the right, that is unlikely to be the cause. Do you use a leg bag and strap? That can also be a culprit.

While having a filter will most likely protect you from a massive pulmonary embolus, it does nothing to prevent DVT, and a DVT that causes a lot of swelling can lead to long-term phlebotic syndrome with problems with continued swelling and even skin breakdown.

How long have you had your filter in place? Current therapy is to remove these 6-8 weeks after placement, as left in place they can actually increase the risks of clotting.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Cushion or clothing not twisted up under your right leg?
    Insincere, manipulative, an idiot, selfish, vapid, biased and now a whore. Now petty. Eight personal attacks against the rules of this site.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12