Thread: Spinergy spoke won't stay tight

Spinergy spoke won't stay tight

One of the spokes on my spinergy wheels was loose, so I tightened it up, and after only a few days it's loose again. This has been going on for a while. Any tricks to keeping them tight?
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

Blog Entries
    If there is no external damage to the spoke, seems to me there are only 3 real options. The adjustable coupling is either stripped in the rim, the connection between the spoke and the coupler is bad, or the internal fiber structure of the spoke is failing. I'd wiggle on the coupling to see if it is also loose in the rim. If it's still snug, but the spoke in it is loose, the spoke is probably coming apart inside the coupling, or failing someonwhere along its length. Check for a particular loose spot along its length or see if it's loose up at the coupler. I guess it doesn't really matter why, you can order single replacements from any online retailer (like bike-on.com or sportaid.com etc). They screw right in easily.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Only way to correctly tighten a spinergy spoke is remove tire and use both tools to hold nut and tighten otherwise your basically winding it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado boy View Post
    one of the spokes on my spinergy wheels was loose, so i tightened it up, and after only a few days it's loose again. This has been going on for a while. Any tricks to keeping them tight?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer