Thread: Lifts

Lifts

NL needs cataract surgery, both eyes, surgeries done between Aug. 23 and Sept.13.

I am quite light (weight) and NL its quite strong and has done lift/pivot transfers since I was injured in 1982.

To accommodate the restrictions of litfing more than 15 pounds, we need to equip our space with a lift to get me into my wheelchair and my commode chair for a few weeks after each of her surgeries. Medicare covers some lifts and slings.

Any suggestions about which lift and sling (need a hygiene sling) that is the best that Medicare will cover (understanding that Medicare only covers barely minimal, cheapest, lowest quality, pardon the expression, shityish equipment manufactured.)

Suggestions???

I you are only going to need it for a few weeks, you might want to consider a rental instead of purchase. A powered (vs. manual crank or pump) floor based lift is the easiest to use.

Here is some information on Medicare coverage of patient lifts:

https://medicare.com/coverage/does-m...patient-lifts/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

What I have seen in my area, lift rentals are quite expensive and it seems the sling may have to be purchased in addition to the lift rentals. That is why I am asking the question, of the types of lifts that Medicare will cover, which is the best. Maybe in a few days, I will have more information from the two durable medical suppliers in my area (20-30 miles away) that accept medicare reimbursement and the lifts that they offer that are covered by medicare, and I can offer the makes and models for more comments from those who may have experience with the covered items.

Our local Lions Club has a wheelchair and various equipment program to loan out or sell. Perhaps your local Chapter has a similar program. I've seen lifts there numerous times. Some in like new condition.

Same here with the local Elks lodge, they offer medical devices to anyone in need. We also have Goodwill stores that sell new/gently used equipment for reasonable prices.

One time when we rented a mobile floor based lift for my mother, it came with a hygiene sling (we selected that sling) as part of the rental price. We didn't have to purchase a sling.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.