Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a new chair

Blog Entries
    I couldn't do without my CF side guards. My pants and shirts would get wrecked. I run snug chairs. I also need something to attach the CF fenders to in the wet and the dirt. I have mine contoured to the tires, 1/4" higher, and don't even notice them. I do notice my stuff not rubbing the tires though! I guess if my chair was and inch or two wider it wouldn't matter, but rolling in the smallest footprint I can manage is a high priority for me, and that means side guards.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My chair is quite snug, too, but my experience has always been negative with them. For whatever reason, they just get in my way. That's not to say they're a bad, just my experience tells me to not add them.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Blog Entries
    Understood. Having them profiled to the tire heights keeps them well out of my way, I think. Mine also don't use any brackets to bulk up the situation, which I think also contributes to their out-of-the-wayness.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Yep armrests are for newbies
    I am a newbie....but giving it a go without.

I am having a heck of a time with the Roho cushion, and maybe the height of the chair, for transfers to and from normal furniture. I guess I just have to get more use to going up before sideways to get back in the chair. The Roho cushion feels so squishy and then it rolls up under my inboard leg. Guessing I just have to remember up first and not diagonal.

I also found a number of loose fasteners, the port side brake bracket was hand tight and by this morning that brake was not doing anything, I adjusted the brake but need to go over the chair and look to see if any other fasteners are loose.

Cheers,
    Jim

No armrest or antitip bars since the beginning 16 years ago. I only use the sideguard as to protect my clothing. If the roho is too difficult to transfer into, talk to your DME and you might be able to get a Roho Hybrid, it has foam under the thighs then Roho air bladders under the butt. Great combo and I use this mostly as my everyday cushion. Post a picture of you in it, its always good to see how it fits you and your level of injury at T10.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

no arm rests for me either . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Issue with the camber tube on my new ZRA

Hello All,
    I am coming up on two weeks of ownership of my brand spanking new ZRA and I seem to have any issue. Last weekend I wanted to put on my new Spinergy Carbon Blades and once I did so when I was wheeling around the house the tires were squeaking like crazy on the hard wood floor. At first I figured that it was because the tires were brand spanking new. I put a number of miles on the chair over the next couple days and they were still squeaking so I got out of the chair to put the Shadows back on and that is when I saw the "Made in the USA" sticker was almost pointing straight up. When I first got the chair my wife commented on the sticker so I asked her if it was in the same position as it was when I first got the chair and she said "not at all". I asked her to grab my allen keys and I measured the toe and got it back to where it should be and the squeaking went away Since getting the chair I have found a couple fasteners which were started but not tightened, Thanks Numotion, so I figured this was what happened here even though the fasteners were fairly tight. Fast forward to Saturday and I was out of the chair and giving it a once over and again I see the sticker has "moved" again but not as much as the first time. I adjust it again and made sure the fasteners were tight. Yesterday morning my wife and I went for pretty decent walk/roll (1.5 miles) and while I was out of the chair yesterday evening and I am pretty sure the camber tube has moved again, this evening I will check it again and put an indexing mark on it to confirm. I am pretty darn mechanically inclined and feel like I put enough torque into the fasteners but with that said something is going on here.

Have any of you guys experienced this? What did you do to solve the issue. To me it would seem like the two clamps that hold the camber tube have a decent amount surface area to "grip" the tube and it would not seem like there is a lot of forces to rotate the tube but the tube is moving.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    No to arm rests, no to anti-tip bars, no to push handles and no to side guards. IMO.
    I agree with the first three, but side guards are indispensable when you have a well fit chair if you wear anything other than spandex.

I'm sure a few physical therapists would cringe to hear me say it, but if I removed my side guards my hips would be touching the wheels, and I'd have to go with a wider chair just to keep from shearing off the sides of my pants with the friction. Add to that the fact that shirts and jackets can be tucked between hip and side guard to avoid getting dirtied by the spinning wheels and the constant contact of my hips with the side guards allows a much more responsive feel to the ride and a more secure seated position (not moving left and right at all), and I don't know how anyone can get by without them on a chair that actually fits well. But to each his own I guess.

But back to the main topic, armrests are more trouble than they're worth for a para.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    I am coming up on two weeks of ownership of my brand spanking new ZRA and I seem to have any issue. Last weekend I wanted to put on my new Spinergy Carbon Blades and once I did so when I was wheeling around the house the tires were squeaking like crazy on the hard wood floor. At first I figured that it was because the tires were brand spanking new. I put a number of miles on the chair over the next couple days and they were still squeaking so I got out of the chair to put the Shadows back on and that is when I saw the "Made in the USA" sticker was almost pointing straight up. When I first got the chair my wife commented on the sticker so I asked her if it was in the same position as it was when I first got the chair and she said "not at all". I asked her to grab my allen keys and I measured the toe and got it back to where it should be and the squeaking went away Since getting the chair I have found a couple fasteners which were started but not tightened, Thanks Numotion, so I figured this was what happened here even though the fasteners were fairly tight. Fast forward to Saturday and I was out of the chair and giving it a once over and again I see the sticker has "moved" again but not as much as the first time. I adjust it again and made sure the fasteners were tight. Yesterday morning my wife and I went for pretty decent walk/roll (1.5 miles) and while I was out of the chair yesterday evening and I am pretty sure the camber tube has moved again, this evening I will check it again and put an indexing mark on it to confirm. I am pretty darn mechanically inclined and feel like I put enough torque into the fasteners but with that said something is going on here.

Have any of you guys experienced this? What did you do to solve the issue. To me it would seem like the two clamps that hold the camber tube have a decent amount surface area to "grip" the tube and it would not seem like there is a lot of forces to rotate the tube but the tube is moving.

Cheers,
    Jim
    You're right, the camber tube shouldn't be moving. I've never had that problem. I have, however, had the fixed elite brackets that hold my ADI carbon back on, move down the posts regardless of how tight the screws are. These particular screws (allen) are really soft metal, so I have stripped them out a few times. I understand yours seem like they aren't tight enough on your camber tube, but be careful not to over tighten them either. If you ever have an allen bolt strip on you, you can hammer a slightly larger torx bit in there to get it to back out.

Blog Entries
    Do your rear wheels spin easily when the tires are raised up off the floor? If not, there might be friction of the hub against the face of the camber nut and rotating the tube. If that is happening, the sticker would rotate to the top. The fix would be to take off the wheel, and adjust the distance between the detent ball in the axle and the adjusting nut by turning the nut counterclockwise half a turn or so.

The other suggestion would be to loosen up
    the clamps and put some locktite or a thin piece of plastic between the clamp and the tube.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury