Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a new chair

Happiness is a new chair

Hello All,
    I am just back from picking up my new chair. I was injured (T10 Complete) in early February and was measured on March 6th. I went with a Tilite ZRA in Matt Titanium Grey with Sapphire aluminum bits. I had not found this color combo in any of the million pictures I looked at online but I like it a lot, understated but with a little edge because of the blue.

I am a total newbie with this whole thing but had my OT, the sales guy, and my rehabilitation places wheelchair "expert" sat down with me for the fitting. The only thing that needed to be done was raising the footrest an inch. The chair feels pretty good so far. While I was in inpatient I they gave me an old Quickie rigid aluminum chair to get around but for the last 10 weeks since I left I have been in a steel folding hospital chair. It is amazing just how much easier the new chair is to push. It is also amazing how much shorter the new chair is. I had to take a run around the house checking different places I go and with the chair being so much shorter it is much easier to spin around in different locations.

I do have a question on armrests, My chair came with the tubular armrests which my wife found to be a PIA when putting the chair in the car. I have already taken them off and I am thinking I may just go without them. Do most of you guys run armrests or no?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by LJH; 06-06-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    I am just back from picking up my new chair. I was injured (T10 Complete) in early February and was measured on March 6th. I went with a Tilite ZRA in Matt Titanium Grey with Sapphire aluminum bits. I had not found this color combo in any of the million pictures I looked at online but I like it a lot, understated but with a little edge because of the blue.

I am a total newbie with this whole thing but had my OT, the sales guy, and my rehabilitation places wheelchair "expert" sit down with me for the fitting. The only thing that needed to be done was raising the footrest an inch. The chair feels pretty good so far. While I was in inpatient I they gave me an old Quickie rigid aluminum chair to get around but for the last 10 weeks since I left I have been in a steel folding hospital chair. It is amazing just how much easier this is to push the new chair. It is also amazing how much shorter the new chair is. I had to take a run around the house checking different places I go and with the chair being so much shorter it is much easier to spin around in different locations.

I do have a question on armrests, My chair came with the tubular armrests which my wife found to be a PIA when putting the chair in the car. I have already taken them off and I am thinking I may just go without them. Do most of you guys run armrests or no?

Cheers,
    Jim
    most dont use armrests
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    most dont use armrests
    Yeah. Dead weight.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I use minimal armrests only because I have an extremely unstable shoulder that can't manage without. Otherwise, there's no way I'd have them; they get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah. Dead weight.
    will be in vb in late july Dale. lets try dinner and drinks again.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've been without armrests for 20 years.
    But the first couple years, I kept the armrests that came with my first chair, a Quickie Revolution.
    They socketed in brackets clamped to the frame below them, and were T shaped with the top being a nice padded thing about 2"x9"
    I mention these because in some ways they were irreplaceable! I could transfer up onto them, sitting diagonally on one or the other and really reach things. This was helpful because I'm a mechanic and a foreign car shop owner (retired 2 years ago) and I could get into upper drawers of my toolbox or reach manuals high in our library, etc.
    The armrests telescoped and you could get them up pretty high, about 7 or 8 inches above normal, and if using things like a car fender or radiator support, you could pretty much "stand" on them.
    Then I got a standing chair and dragged that around the shop a couple years before finally accepting that I was now a much better manager than mechanic, although I still did a lot of brakes, CV Boots, and front end work sitting in my Ti. A lot of welding too-leaving innumerable BB holes in my cushion covers!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    will be in vb in late july Dale. lets try dinner and drinks again.
    Absolutely. Pm me when you're here.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

You're a T/10; no need for armrests and try to get the back low.

Yep armrests are for newbies

No to arm rests, no to anti-tip bars, no to push handles and no to side guards. IMO.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8