Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happiness is a new chair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    I am coming up on two weeks of ownership of my brand spanking new ZRA and I seem to have any issue. Last weekend I wanted to put on my new Spinergy Carbon Blades and once I did so when I was wheeling around the house the tires were squeaking like crazy on the hard wood floor. At first I figured that it was because the tires were brand spanking new. I put a number of miles on the chair over the next couple days and they were still squeaking so I got out of the chair to put the Shadows back on and that is when I saw the "Made in the USA" sticker was almost pointing straight up. When I first got the chair my wife commented on the sticker so I asked her if it was in the same position as it was when I first got the chair and she said "not at all". I asked her to grab my allen keys and I measured the toe and got it back to where it should be and the squeaking went away Since getting the chair I have found a couple fasteners which were started but not tightened, Thanks Numotion, so I figured this was what happened here even though the fasteners were fairly tight. Fast forward to Saturday and I was out of the chair and giving it a once over and again I see the sticker has "moved" again but not as much as the first time. I adjust it again and made sure the fasteners were tight. Yesterday morning my wife and I went for pretty decent walk/roll (1.5 miles) and while I was out of the chair yesterday evening and I am pretty sure the camber tube has moved again, this evening I will check it again and put an indexing mark on it to confirm. I am pretty darn mechanically inclined and feel like I put enough torque into the fasteners but with that said something is going on here.

Have any of you guys experienced this? What did you do to solve the issue. To me it would seem like the two clamps that hold the camber tube have a decent amount surface area to "grip" the tube and it would not seem like there is a lot of forces to rotate the tube but the tube is moving.

Cheers,
    Jim

The manyal doesnt give torque specs for those fasteners, but, if your wheels spin freely, then it they must not be tight enough. Are they loose when you check them after the tube has rotated? Worse case something (male or female threads...most likely the aluminum female side) may be stripping. Easy case is bearings in hubs are shot and torque-ing the tube. Best case they just aren't tight enough. I use a dab of medium thread locker on all my hardware.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    I am coming up on two weeks of ownership of my brand spanking new ZRA and I seem to have any issue. Last weekend I wanted to put on my new Spinergy Carbon Blades and once I did so when I was wheeling around the house the tires were squeaking like crazy on the hard wood floor. At first I figured that it was because the tires were brand spanking new. I put a number of miles on the chair over the next couple days and they were still squeaking so I got out of the chair to put the Shadows back on and that is when I saw the "Made in the USA" sticker was almost pointing straight up. When I first got the chair my wife commented on the sticker so I asked her if it was in the same position as it was when I first got the chair and she said "not at all". I asked her to grab my allen keys and I measured the toe and got it back to where it should be and the squeaking went away Since getting the chair I have found a couple fasteners which were started but not tightened, Thanks Numotion, so I figured this was what happened here even though the fasteners were fairly tight. Fast forward to Saturday and I was out of the chair and giving it a once over and again I see the sticker has "moved" again but not as much as the first time. I adjust it again and made sure the fasteners were tight. Yesterday morning my wife and I went for pretty decent walk/roll (1.5 miles) and while I was out of the chair yesterday evening and I am pretty sure the camber tube has moved again, this evening I will check it again and put an indexing mark on it to confirm. I am pretty darn mechanically inclined and feel like I put enough torque into the fasteners but with that said something is going on here.

Have any of you guys experienced this? What did you do to solve the issue. To me it would seem like the two clamps that hold the camber tube have a decent amount surface area to "grip" the tube and it would not seem like there is a lot of forces to rotate the tube but the tube is moving.

Cheers,
    Jim
    If your axle tube is rotating and you don't dare tighten the hex screws more...stop. Contact the DME. Something is wrong. Make them fix it before they say you damaged the chair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hello All,
    Yes, the wheels spin freely so that is not an issue. The fasteners are also tight after I noticed the camber tube has moved. This is all very strange as there is a pretty big clamping surface. I have also tried as hard as I can to turn the camber tube by hand while the fasteners are tightened and no go so this makes me wonder if it has something to do with going over bumps.

I have played with everything from full scale cars to tiny radio controlled stuff and am aware that you have to be careful with fasteners tapped into aluminum. While I have not pulled the fasteners out yet once they are loose the threads feel fine. Looking at the camber tube again this morning it looks like it has moved again. Tonight when I look at it I will pull the fasteners completely out to see if there is an indication of thread damage as well as mark the clamp and tube to make sure it is moving. I also want to measure the depth of the threads and compare them to the fasteners to make sure they are not bottoming out.

I talked to Tilite yesterday and they were not helpful at all. I also have someone coming from Numotion to take a look at it next week though I am not sure I trust them given the number of loose fasteners I have found from the build of my chair.

Cheers,
    Jim

Check the interfaces of the clamps. If they close completely, no amount of tightening will help.
    If they are two piece clamps, take them off and file off enough material to leave an opening when tightened (you could also use coarse sandpaper on something flat and stroke the part on it)
    If there's only a single slot, you could use a piece of (stiff) belt sander paper to thin it, or a shim (piece of thin aluminum flashing?) between the clamp and the axle. To do this, you might need to spread it slightly (to get the shim in) by hammering a thin screwdriver blade or scraper into the split until the shim is installed.
    If this scenario is correct, Numotion should quickly warrantee it!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ