Thread: Botox in back muscles

Botox in back muscles

I had a baclofen pump refill appointment last Friday. I told the nurse practitioner about my problem with twisting back muscles.. He mentioned Botox.. Has anyone had that put in their back muscles? I am going through hell with this twisting. My left side is constantly pulling fforward and out to the left and caving in the right side of my back.. It just won't stop -- morning and night. I'm doing constant pressure releases all day long to stretch..

I imagine the downside of getting Botox in those muscles is that they will always be loose and if you can't get them in the right position, you could hurt. I really don't know. I'm not really sure how they can even isolate what's going on since they have not been able to tell me which muscles are pulling. I have had two MRIs and going to have another one in June.

2 orthopedic doctors wouldn't even see me in the neurological doctor is "tthinking about it.." There's another question,, if my back is pulling so hard,, can they do anything to stabilize it?

I would really like to be able to just bend forward and not have my left side stick out. That way I could stretch the back muscles. This is like the perfect storm. I used to be all stretched out until I listened to and trusted a physical therapist..

It's used for treatment of cervical dystonia and chronic refractory back pain due to muscle spasms.

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysi...ic/11775/54925

"Botox can be provided to individuals who have spasticity in the arms, legs or even body trunk. It does not affect muscles that have contractures but can help reduce spasticity. The treatment is not for pain but for the spasm. To get this treatment authorized, the injections must be specified for spasticity, not pain even if the spasm causes pain. It is one of the curious quirks of medicine and health care reimbursement that pain is not an authorized condition but instead as a complication of spasticity that allows the coverage. If you have spasticity leading to pain, Botox is covered for the spasticity. If you have pain in arms or legs but no spasticity, it is not covered. You can be treated with Botox in just one limb if necessary such as with stroke, the spasticity might just be on one side. Requests for coverage for this treatment should include other options that have been tried and have not been successful such as range of motion exercises, medications tried or therapies attempted. You do not need to stop other treatments. The Botox can be added to your regiment.

Other treatments with approved Botox use are Cervical Dystonia or pulling of the muscles in the neck that alter position and function. Dystonia can cause spasms and pain of the muscles that can lead to contractures. Axillary Hyperhidrosis or extreme sweating in the armpits that cannot be controlled with topical medications is another use for Botox injections. This is sweating that is extreme. The other use of Botox is Blepharospasm and Strabismus which is tremors of the eye or eyes and crossed eyes. Again, the Botox is used to relax the muscle that are making the eyes twitch or to offset eye muscles that are pulling the eyes out of alignment leading to visual problems.'

https://www.spineuniverse.com/treatments/pain-management/botox-chronic-back-neck-pain

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/spine/botox-treatment-chronic-refractory-low-back-pain

The cost and insurance coverage for back muscle injections may be a hinderance but most of the companies who make botox and its similar alternatives like Myobloc, Dysport and Xeomin have patient assistance programs. Interventional Pain Management doctors , PM&R and Neurologists do these in addition to surgeons

Many physiatrists do Botox injections and nerve blocks as part of their "physical medicine" practice. I would go with one of them as they will be much more aware of implications for posture, seating, and balance issues with this.

Properly used for muscle spasm, Botox can be done so it does not completely paralyze the muscle, but weaken it significantly. This is why you should only have it done by an expert and experienced practitioner.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.