Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any inside scoop on accessible vans by a recent purchaser? Braun v. VMI, Pacifica v.

Blog Entries

Any inside scoop on accessible vans by a recent purchaser? Braun v. VMI, Pacifica v.

That time to replace the '02 Dodge , side-entry bi-fold ramp rig.
    Has anyone recently purchased a w/c van and actually so happy with it that he/she may share their experience here?
    Braun v. VMI, Pacifica v. Sienna v. Dodge v. Honda?
    Much appreciated !

Very happy with the Toyota, side-entry bi fold ramp. Bought it over the phone from Arizona Mobility. Can't imagine anything more convenient for a power chair user.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Has anyone recently purchased a w/c van and actually so happy with it that he/she may share their experience here?
    Much appreciated !
    We have a 2014 VMI Sienna with a in-floor ramp. There is a lot of room inside. It's also lifted up so we never scrap. We are coming up on 85,000 miles and no major problems.

This came on the forum recently:http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...e-van-with-a-B

I was looking to replace my 2000 VMI Limited in floor last month. I'm looking for a fold out rather than in floor this time. VMI was recently bought by an investment group raising prices immediately. It looks like they're pushing the in floor only. Out of the many vans they have for sale, only one is a fold out. I'll probably go with the Braun fold out.

For vans either the Pacifica or Toyota; I believe they have more space. What stopped me from buying was I don't trust the VMI dealer and the Braun dealer does shoddy work. It's also a 200 mile round trip to Seattle where as it's 40 round trip to Vancouver Canada to a dealer up there. VMI and Braun only allow us to buy and get warranty service from dealers in our area.

I would just add that you should probably stick to a adaptive van that has a local dealer/service department not too far from you. Getting repairs done when you have to drive 100s of miles for service is going to be a problem.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    This came on the forum recently:http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...e-van-with-a-B

I was looking to replace my 2000 VMI Limited in floor last month. I'm looking for a fold out rather than in floor this time. VMI was recently bought by an investment group raising prices immediately. It looks like they're pushing the in floor only. Out of the many vans they have for sale, only one is a fold out. I'll probably go with the Braun fold out.

For vans either the Pacifica or Toyota; I believe they have more space. What stopped me from buying was I don't trust the VMI dealer and the Braun dealer does shoddy work. It's also a 200 mile round trip to Seattle where as it's 40 round trip to Vancouver Canada to a dealer up there. VMI and Braun only allow us to buy and get warranty service from dealers in our area.
    the service/warranty part sounds wrong pat. call the mfr. u should be able to get service/warranty at ANY certified dealer. I had my equipment installed by a dealer 75 mi away and have service warranty work done at a dealer 10 minutes away.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Much appreciated !
    We just bought a 2012 Dodge Caravan low miles, perfect shape with extended warranty for 7 years, or 100, 000 mile also from Arizona Mobility and love it. We also saved $10,000 from any other dealer.

They are in Phoenix and a bit different from other dealers. Dont sell new all are used but the deal in volume they have a warehouse full of vans, cars, taxes etc.

Check in with Scott good and fair, no wiggle room prices are no haggle price points.

You can save 4% for taxes if asked.

VMI under ramp love it!

https://www.azmobilitycenter.com/use...r-sale-phoenix

Scott 480.225.9716 call or text!

Dont forget USAA also does insurance for WC vans and great extended loans out to 7 years if needed to lower the cost.

Just need a former parent that was in the military that is a member to become a member!

https://www.usaa.com

I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica with Braun conversion (fold up ramp). I?m 6?4, so headroom has always been an issue (I use a Permobil F3, and sit in the front passenger seat). The Pacifica has the most interior space and headroom of any minivan I?ve had previously (Caravan, Sienna).

Don't limit yourself to minivans. Minivans are an inferior product in terms of safety, room, features, reliability, and cost.

Full size vans are a more substantial vehicle and will do better in a crash. Minivans don't have a good track record with safety.

Full size vans may have a pullout back seat that let's you lay down and stretch. You can take more luggage plus a cooler and still have room for a dog bed.

Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country are the most frequently resold minivans because they are junk. Ask a mechanic about their transmissions and overall build quality.

The minivan conversion costs much more to buy, and you will take a larger loss on it when you get rid of the van. That's because minivans typically have modified floors and suspensions that are part of the vehicle. A full size van conversion doesn't have to be part of the vehicle. It costs less and you can take it with you to the next van. You may never have to buy another one. In the mini van you have to keep buying new conversion packages. No wonder the dealers want to sell them.

The drawback to a full size van is that it takes more gas, costs more to insure, harder to back up, and you can't park it everywhere you can park a minivan.

By the way, when I first started looking into vans, one of the first questions I asked dealers is which one has a portable conversion package so that I can take it with me to the next van. The answer I found is just about any full size van. But not one dealer volunteered that information. One of them even had the balls to say that the fact that minivan conversion is built into the van is a feature that upholds it's resale value. Just keep that in mind. They all want to sell minivans and many will mislead you for the sake of making a sale.