Thread: CNA broke my laptop, how would you all handle a similar situation?

Question CNA broke my laptop, how would you all handle a similar situation?

Hello everyone. Just curious if anyone here has had a similar situation I recently had with my CNA. Every evening, one of the things my CNA does when she first arrives is to move my laptop computer from the bed to a nearby shelf. The laptop is in a zippered case and probably 90% of the time when she needs to move it, the laptop is folded closed and the case it's in a zippered shut. There have been a few times when I asked the CNA to put the screen down on the laptop, close the cover on the bag and close the zipper on the bag before putting it away. The other day, I needed some extra room on my bed so I closed the case the laptop was in but did not zip it shut as I was not done using the laptop. When the CNA arrived, she saw the closed laptop case and assumed it was already zipped closed and grabbed the handle to move it and of course the laptop fell out, hit the floor and the screen cracked. I'm not sure if the laptop is functioning at all as I haven't had time to hook it up to my monitor yet. The CNA was very apologetic but beyond that didn't offer any help in having the laptop repaired. I've been tempted to fire this CNA for some time now because she's hardly ever on time and is also very lazy, there have been many times when I've dropped something on the floor such as a paper towel on the kitchen floor and she would just walk by it, not picking it up and leaving it for the person on the next shift. I really don't think it's a case of her not see the items on the floor as it happened so many times. And I really feel it's just laziness that she didn't check the laptop bag to make sure it was zipped closed the other night when she picked it up. This is why I'm tempted to ask her to reimburse at least half the cost of the repair of the laptop. Then again I know it was an accident so I'm reluctant to ask at all. Just wondering if you all have been in a similar situation and how you handled it? Thanks.
    Daniel G.

This sounds like a really unfortunate .... accident.

Since you stated that you usually have the computer closed and zipped and ready to move..... or completely open..... it is unfortunate that you left it closed and unzipped. It sounds like that is not a way you traditionally leave it. You didn't mention explicitly telling her in the past "always check the zipper because I sometimes leave it open...." If I were her, I might have done the same exact thing.

No, I would not charge her half of the repair.

If you want to fire her for other reasons, fire her..... but this....

Do you have an insurance that might cover something like this? Is she from an agency that might have insurance? Your renter's insurance? Is it still within the computer's warranty, and was that warranty extended by buying it with a credit card with additional benefits?

Regardless, it really stinks....

I'm sorry but I have to agree. If it was off to the side, it should have been zipped as the likelihood of someone grabbing it was huge. Unfortunate accident. ebay sells cheap screens.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This sounds very frustrating. It is so hard to think of ourselves as part of a team instead of the lords of our own castles. People come into OUR territory and touch OUR stuff... because we need those people there. I do agree with hlh that if you have reasons to fire her do so-providing you can find a better replacement. That is always the sticking point.

I don't even like the fact I have to share territory with my partner.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Do you have an insurance that might cover something like this? Is she from an agency that might have insurance? Your renter's insurance? Is it still within the computer's warranty, and was that warranty extended by buying it with a credit card with additional benefits?

That sucks. With regard to your question about insurance, a baller home owners insurance plan might cover something like that, but the deductible will probably make it not worth claiming. Maybe some of the extended warranties would cover something like that, but in the long run it's not likely to happen again, so in the long run you'd probably be wasting your money on it (extended warranties are notoriously profitable for the retailers).

Like you said it's an accident and accidents do happen. Not much you can do but roll with it.

I would try to get her insurance to cover it, not yours. Otherwise, it's on you. If it's a pattern, then find a new one. That's what I had to do with my cleaners. Break something once, I'll eat it. Break something twice, then there will probably be a third time so... you're fired.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    This sounds like a really unfortunate .... accident

I agree, and would eat the cost of the laptop.