Thread: Lubricant for rectal stimulation and foley insertion

Lubricant for rectal stimulation and foley insertion

Hey guys, I've been using Lidocaine 2% as lubricant for rectal stimulation and foley insertion. I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative, can you please tell me?

I don't know of anything cheaper if you are using this to prevent/manage autonomic dysreflexia (AD) during bowel care and catheter insertion. It is not very expensive in the USA if purchased generically, although it does require a prescription.

Years ago we also used Fougera Dibucaine Ointment (1%) or Nupercainal for bowel care AD management and prevention, but it cannot be used on catheters for urinary use, and at least in the USA, was actually more expensive than Lidocaine 2% ointment.

If you don't have a problem with AD, using any water-soluble medical grade lubricant would be much cheaper. This would include brands like Surgilube or MUKO.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've never quite understood using 2% lidocaine jelly as a lubricant on a catheter or on a gloved finger for digital stimulation, since it takes 3-5 minutes for the numbing effect to take place. It seems to me that most people apply the jelly to the catheter and then immediately insert the catheter. The catheter is in place and the numbing action begins in 3-5 minutes, long after insertion Likewise, a gloved finger coated with lidocaine jelly and inserted into the rectum and digital stimulation started immediately would not be enough time for the numbing action to be of any advantage.

For catheter insertion, instilling the jelly into the urethra from a syringe filled with lidocaine and waiting 3-5 minutes would assure that the numbing effect of the jelly had a chance to work before catheterization.

Likewise, introducing jelly into the rectum and waiting 3-5 minutes before beginning digital stimulation or inserting a suppository would seem a better alternative than using lidocaine jelly as a lubricant from the start of digital stimulation.

It seems it is as important to wait for lidocaine to take effect, as it is for your dentist to wait for novocaine to work before he begins drilling.

Yes, that is the correct way to use lidocaine 2% jelly. We recommend, for those with severe AD problems related to digital stimulation, inserting 5ml. into the rectal vault 5 min. prior to starting dig stim, and then also using it as the lubricant on the gloved finger or dig stimmer. The same goes for manually removing stool causing the AD. For catheterization during AD episodes, instill 10ml. into the urethra, and catheterize in 2-3 minutes.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

As a follow up, just wanted to share my experience.

I ended up buying Surgilube in Amazon, and it works great.