Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell-Based Phase I Trial to Repair Spinal Cord Injuries Produces Encouraging Res

Stem Cell-Based Phase I Trial to Repair Spinal Cord Injuries Produces Encouraging Res

Stem Cell-Based Phase I Trial to Repair Spinal Cord Injuries Produces Encouraging Results
    https://health.ucsd.edu/news/release...g-results.aspx
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I think it's save to say now that ALL STEM CELLS ARE SAFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky831 View Post
    I think it's save to say now that ALL STEM CELLS ARE SAFE!!!

I am pretty sure thats not true
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I am pretty sure thats not true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell

Some stem cells form tumors after transplantation;[66] pluripotency is linked to tumor formation especially in embryonic stem cells, fetal proper stem cells, induced pluripotent stem cells. Fetal proper stem cells form tumors despite multipotency.[67]

Stem cell transplantation is an important avenue for SCI research: the goal is to replace lost spinal cord cells, allow reconnection in broken neural circuits by regrowing axons, and to create an environment in the tissues that is favorable to growth.[74] A key avenue of SCI research is research on stem cells, which can differentiate into other types of cells—including those lost after SCI.[74] Types of cells being researched for use in SCI include embryonic stem cells, neural stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, olfactory ensheathing cells, Schwann cells, activated macrophages, and induced pluripotent stem cells.[151] Hundreds of stem cell studies have been done in humans, with promising but inconclusive results.[139] An ongoing Phase 2 trial in 2016 presented data[152] showing that after 90 days, 2 out of 4 subjects had already improved two motor levels and had thus already achieved its endpoint of 2/5 patients improving two levels within 6–12 months. Six-month data is expected in January 2017.[153]

SCI, Stem Cells, Snake Oil and Serious Hope: Keith Tansey

Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-02-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Stem Cell-Based Phase I Trial to Repair Spinal Cord Injuries Produces Encouraging Results
    https://health.ucsd.edu/news/release...g-results.aspx
    This same lab group is also working on making clinical grade human IPSC's for future trials.

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2018-05-09-reprogrammed-stem-cell-derived-neurons-survive-long-term-in-pigs-with-spinal-cord-injuries.aspx

“Our current experiments are focusing on generation and testing of clinical grade human iPSCs, which is the ultimate source of cells to be used in future clinical trials for treatment of spinal cord and central nervous system injuries in a syngeneic or allogeneic setting,” said Marsala.
    “Because long-term post-grafting periods — one to two years — are required to achieve a full grafted cells-induced treatment effect, the elimination of immunosuppressive treatment will substantially increase our chances in achieving more robust functional improvement in spinal trauma patients receiving iPSC-derived NPCs.”
    “In our current clinical cell-replacement trials, immunosuppression is required to achieve the survival of allogeneic cell grafts. The elimination of immunosuppression requirement by using syngeneic cell grafts would represent a major step forward” said co-author Joseph Ciacci, MD, a neurosurgeon at UC San Diego Health and professor of surgery at UC San Diego School of Medicine.

been reading repeated articles like this since my injury in 2010 and hats off for those who did 20-30 even 40yrs ago... Took me a while to realize but to me now its Like Hollywood gossip, free publicity to star power, keep the hype to a comfort zone and get rich off our backs (pun intended) All talk no action, playing with SCInjured's wishfull thinking as well as their family's and friend's. I won't be surprised in 20-30 years we'll still read sitting down these "breakthroughs".
    Last edited by Moe; 06-02-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    been reading repeated articles like this since my injury in 2010 and hats off for those who did 20-30 even 40yrs ago... Took me a while to realize but to me now its Like Hollywood gossip, free publicity to star power, keep the hype to a comfort zone and get rich off our backs (pun intended) All talk no action, playing with SCInjured's wishfull thinking as well as their family's and friend's. I won't be surprised in 20-30 years we'll still read sitting down these "breakthroughs".
    Yes, THIS !!!..... Joke

Quote Originally Posted by Ajstevens View Post
    Yes, THIS !!!..... Joke
    Settle down. I’ve heard it’s only another 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Settle down. I’ve heard it’s only another 5 years.
    You raken we can get that in writing? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Come on Moe, that's a bit disingenuous. This is the Neuralstem Company's first Phase 1 safety trial on chronic SCI. They got FDA approval to recruit 4 thoracic level injuries. Since their follow up went good, FDA granted them an additional approval for a second cohort (April of last year) allowing the riskier 4 cervical patients with C5-C7 a chance to try it. Their first cervical patient came forward and was injected March 28th this year. Safety trials Phase 1 & 2 have limited patient numbers for obvious reasons and recruitment tends to be slow. Not everyone is willing to take these risks with such high injuries. Giving a black eye to a biotech that's following the rules and trying to be frugal with the astronomical expenses for their shareholders seems strange. We either want them to succeed and have a viable treatment that we can support or they can fall by the wayside like the other major biotech companies 5 years ago that announced they were going to abandon the neurological field entirely. Neural stem cells are an important try since many people have lost their critical motor neurons.