Thread: Freedom Ryder FRH-1 transport

Freedom Ryder FRH-1 transport

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how easily this handcycle breaks down for transportation? Their website states it breaks down enough to transport in any vehicle. I'm wondering if it would fit in the trunk of a car?

I'm looking a purchasing a used one in the next couple of weeks and need to drive some distance to take a look, so i would rather take my car (fuel mileage) if i can confirm it should fit in there. (i need half of the back seat for my chair)

Thanks in advance everyone!

(I hope i posted this in the correct area)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    It takes a bit of work, totally doable. I've only done it a couple of times.

Depending how you can squeeze it in .. this is the maximum take apart I would consider before it gets ridiculous.

Rear wheels come off with 2 allen(hex) bolts.
    Rear axle slides out after loosening 2 allen(hex) bolts.
    Seat back comes off with 1 allen(hex) bolt loosened and 1 allen(hex) bolt completely detached, hopefully you can get away with just folding it flat without detaching it.
    1 allen(hex) bolt, detaches the whole front wheel assembly from the rear frame. (keep the Styrofoam block handy as it allows you to easily line them up when you need to put it back together.

I can't remember how the steering dampener detaches !! worse case it was one nut and bolt.

Most annoying part I remember is lining up the bolt to attach the front assembly to the rear frame, but I am sure with practice and ingenuity this would be an easy process over time.

It's a shame they don't make a version with all these bolts as quick release fasteners so no tools are necessary.

Steering dampener.
    Last edited by NW-Will; 06-01-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I cannot do it by myself (T3 complete).
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it in my car with only removing the rear wheels and taking the frame apart where it joins in the front!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I'd just remove the rear wheels and just lift the rest into the trunk and hold down the trunk with a bungie cord unless you have to drive a real long distance. Taking off the headset each time you go out riding would get old pretty quick. Even better next vehicle get a small wagon. I had a VW Golf Wagon and it fit fine in the back of that with just one side of the seat down.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred