Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permobil F3 recline

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Permobil F3 recline

When I use the recline feature on my F3, there are times where it seems to "pop', almost as if it momentarily gets stuck. Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    When I use the recline feature on my F3, there are times where it seems to "pop', almost as if it momentarily gets stuck. Anyone else experience this?
    Sounds like something is binding...have someone stand behind and watch the seatback as you lower see if they see whats hanging up?

I had a problem with the setting on the limit switch for recline (m300). The switch was not adjusted correctly and allowed the back to recline too much, which forced the bracket for the headrest down on the frame and the "pop" sound was the backrest latch disengaging. Check to see if your backrest is seated and locked (can't pull forward on the back). The recline and or tilt switch can be limited by your durable medical equipment supplier with the programming unit. When this happened to me the headrest bracket actually gouged the top of the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It doesn’t seem to be catching on anything, nor is there any gouging. It happens at different points throughout the recline. It doesn’t do it when I’m not in the chair. I’m beginning to think it is actually me readjusting in the chair, if that makes sense.

It doesn’t seem to be catching on anything, nor is there any gouging. It happens at different points throughout the recline. It doesn’t do it when I’m not in the chair. I’m beginning to think it is actually me readjusting in the chair, if that makes sense.
    If I were you, I would have my durable medical equipment supplier take a look at the problem, if you can replicate it on a regular basis. Since none of us are there when it happens, all speculation by any one of us has here is probably not relevant.

Is it just a noise? Or, can you feel a "hesitation" suggesting a significant mechanical event? (e.g., a noise could be something as simple as one of the wiring cables momentarily catching but not HOLDING enough to cause a hesitation in the motion)

I feel a bump.

I don't have that model but I agree with gjnl: you should have the DME look at this. Any irregularity in tilt or recline is really concerning for safety reasons. It's important to be sure the backrest is securely on in the tile or recline positions. So first of all check everything is safe and secure.

I have my Permobil checked every six months (I am fortunate to have a really good wheelchair technician though).

Do you have an aftermarket back? I do (Invacare matrix elite deep) and there was a problem with the initial installation. I would recline and then there came a point at which the pins disengaged from the back and the entire back separated from the frame. It wasn't dangerous, but did require getting out of the chair and being unable to use it.

Everything seems to be working correctly now, except I do notice the back when it reclines, it isn't quite as smooth as my seven-year-old C300.

When the F series 1st came out there was a issue that Permobil tried keeping quiet but we found a lot of end users that had the same issue.

The seat back was making a grinding sound as the seat back went down or some had it when the seat came up.

DMEs tried all kinds of fixes but none of them worked.

So we went to the CEO's and they went to a "fix team/quality control" group and found it was the actuator was allowing dirt to get in the the bar as it went in and out. Some had it worse than others and some of the gear was chipping causing a pop like sensation because of teeth missing in the worm gear.

Permobil didnt admit guilt and did not inform buyers so it was solely word of mouth.

They also never got the word out to DMEs and even today if you call in to Permobil you will not get them to say anything.

Point being maybe you might have them check that worm gear and the actuator.

Also make sure you get fitted with the new neoprene boot to keep dirt out.