Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sliding door threshold

Better places to pinch a penny than to have hazards and restrict freedom in your own house. Not only is that a header hazzard, but it's also difficult to carry stuff in your lap over a sliding door track. My solution is French doors and a small ramp. The improved mobility is worth a few hundred dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    My solution is neither expensive, a hazard, nor an obstacle, so, I'm good.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    My solution is neither expensive, a hazard, nor an obstacle, so, I'm good.
    Hey man! A solution is a solution. What's the problem
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Blog Entries
    Exactly what I was wondering!
    Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Hey man! A solution is a solution. What's the problem
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

What's the problem? I lived with your type of solution for years and it didn't work for me. I found it to be a hazard. Maybe it works for you because you have larger casters. Maybe your wife or kids can carry stuff for you. Maybe you are able to deal with it some other way better than I could. I don't have a wife or kids to carry stuff in and out for me. When I transport stuff I don't want it dropping, especially food from the grill. It's happened. I don't want my casters getting caught in a track. That has also happened. That's the problem. Glad it's not a problem for you.

Blog Entries
    Riiiiiiight. That must be it. My little wooden mini ramps aren't an ideal and inexpensive solution, given my ability level and chair skills. My kids carry everything for me.

Jesus. Project much?!

It takes all kinds for this world to go 'round.

You OK, man?

When I come in from the grill with a plate full of food on my lap, I can't see the track. I can usually estimate good enough and get over it. But if I get a leg spasm at just the wrong time, it can throw off my balance. At that point, I may have lost perspective of where my caster is relative to the track. Then it can get stuck, lock up, I drop the food, or worse, I take a header. It's happened. That makes it a hazard for ME.

Your wife or kids carrying your food was only one option. I also wrote "Maybe you are able to deal with it some other way better than I could", which includes your wheelchair skills.

I have damn good skills myself. I've only had a problem with the track twice in about 10 years. Even that is - in my book - a hazard. Hence it's a problem for ME. I also wrote "Glad it isn't a problem for YOU". Wasn't meant to be personal. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    Last edited by August West; 07-23-2019 at 09:41 PM.

This really pisses me off how people here pounce on each other. We are here to help each other. That's all I was trying to do. Wasn't some sort of psychological projection as Dale suggests. I don't know if Phil's comment was directed as me or at Dale. Doesn't really matter in this context. What matters is that we won't have many members returning if we keep picking on each other, especially when you're suggesting I've got some kind of mental issue when I try to honestly explain a problem.

I mainly use my power chair around the house so I can change position constantly. Using that chair and my boards solution to my threshold, I can carry whatever with me with no issues. In my manual I would be challenged to carry stuff at the same time.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    This really pisses me off how people here pounce on each other. We are here to help each other. That's all I was trying to do. Wasn't some sort of psychological projection as Dale suggests. I don't know if Phil's comment was directed as me or at Dale. Doesn't really matter in this context. What matters is that we won't have many members returning if we keep picking on each other, especially when you're suggesting I've got some kind of mental issue when I try to honestly explain a problem.
    I felt the same way. Really seemed like you were bejng unnecessarily hostile about what works for other people, but didnt for you, then making non sequitur digs at me for having a family and folks around to help, when you apparently do not. Sorry for the misunderstanding.