Thread: Solo business travel??

Solo business travel??

For quite some time after I was injured I assumed I'd get back to work and be capable of traveling on my own, albeit less frequently and likely much reduced international travel. Then I actually started traveling with my wife and that idea crumbled. The increased luggage requirements (shower/commode chair) and unpredictability of hotel "accessible" rooms made solo travel for a T3 complete seem insane. I remember getting to transfer into a bed that was too high and feeling like a beached whale when I only got my upper half onto the bed with zero means for pulling the rest of me onto it. Or the time the "accessible" room meant a vertical grab bar on the bath/shower wall and not one thing more.

So I'm curious if there are higher thoracic-completes who manage to travel alone and how you manage such things. I'm good with the airplane portion, but most interested in:
    - luggage and DME especially
    - hotel room accessibility issues
    - rental cars!

Thanks.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I'll speak to the hotel question specifically. I share your frustration with 'accessible' hotel rooms and the issues of bed height, the lack of clearance around the room, and shower/bathroom designs. I was just on a local 'getaway' trip with my spouse and the bed height was a good 6" above my chair. I found taking an ikea children's bathroom stool and slide board helps, btw. On an upcoming trip that I'm attempting solo, I contacted the hotel (a Hyatt) and asked for photos and details around the bathroom, bed, clearance. I was thrilled to find out that they'd already responded to the requests of wheelchair users and lowered the bed to 22", the shower was roll-in, the clearance around the bed looks great in photos, and they installed a shower head that 'pauses' when I asked if this was available (they understood why this was a safety issue). I also found a local agency that offers 'visits' (defined as <2 hours) to make sure you are up and out in the morning. I'll report back after the trip is over.

Thanks for the input HockeyFan. Looking forward to hearing how your solo journey goes.
    Will you take a shower/commode chair?
    I'm not able to handle my bowel program on a toilet - at least none I've tried so far - so I take one that my wife assembles...
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.