Thread: How Does Quad Pull Ticket At Parking Garage?

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

How Does Quad Pull Ticket At Parking Garage?

It is frustrating to drive up to a gate and not be able to pull the ticket to open the gate. My last experience was at a new Whole Foods in downtown Denver. I saw a help button, so I turned off my van and got my reacher and pushed the button with it. A voice said, "How may I help you"?

I said, "I can't pull the ticket because my fingers don't work. I need someone to do it for me."

She said, "There's no one here who can help you."

I said "The cars are backing up behind me and honking their horns." She said "I don't know how you can drive if your fingers don't work"

I don't want to discuss people's lack of awareness here. I'd just like to know if anyone has found a way for quads to pull the ticket, or gotten the businesses to replace tickets with cameras or something more automatic. I'm thinking that a reacher with something super-sticky could work. Has anyone tried that?

I usually avoid going to these places alone, but sometimes I don't know that a ticket is required until I get there. And we should solve the problem so that access is more universal. After calling this business (Interstate Parking) I plan to discuss it with the city of Denver (I used to go to their monthly accessibility meetings).

If there have been other threads on this topic, please let me know (my search failed).

"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

If you think a "sticky" reacher, would work, here is the one I have. Now getting the ticket off of the sticky adhesive reacher may be a challenge. The adhesive is pretty strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Telestik-TS30.../dp/B0029YMT0O

Sadly, the parking garage at the best rehab hospital in town is an offender. I often end up using both hands, requiring me to get real close. I've considered buying one of the very short "Crippers" to keep in my van, but have held off so far.

I know a few C5/C6 quads who use some sort of clothes-pin/pincher/pliers to grab their bank cards in order to use drive-thru cash machines. Could something like that work? Obvs they drive up quite close and "two-hand" the tool but it saves them getting out of their vehicle.

Let us know what you come up with!

What I normally do is pull up to the machine as close as I can, unbuckle the seatbelt and use both hands to yank the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    What I normally do is pull up to the machine as close as I can, unbuckle the seatbelt and use both hands to yank the ticket.
    Yea, this is what I would suggest.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Yea, this is what I would suggest.
    For some reason that method is much more difficult when there's a line of cars behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    For some reason that method is much more difficult when there's a line of cars behind you!
    it's either that or you wait for someone to come to your window to ask what's wrong. I'm guessing that will take longer than crippy handing your way through the toll.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I use pliers for ATMs, parking decks and the gas station.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If you think a "sticky" reacher, would work, here is the one I have. Now getting the ticket off of the sticky adhesive reacher may be a challenge. The adhesive is pretty strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Telestik-TS30.../dp/B0029YMT0O
    Thanks so much gjnl for that link! I bought the reacher ($24) along with the strap (sold separately for $7). It is great for me for grabbing many different things. I ordered 2 more as well, to keep one at work and one in my van (and one at home). I haven't tried it for pulling tickets yet (I will, but they also are going to let me park without a ticket, when I push the button and tell them my name), but so far I've used the reacher for:

1. Picking up my normal custom reacher when I drop it, using the magnet to grab my reacher's metal hook.
    2. Getting silverware out of the dish strainer, using the magnet.
    3. Getting other stuff (non-metal) out of the dish strainer, using the sticky end.
    4. Using the sticky end to pick up almost anything up off the floor, like pens and paper, that I used to have to knock into a handle bag with my regular reacher.

I added a velcro loop to the cap of the sticky end thing (yellow disk), so I can get the cap off easier. It's kind of a hassle extending the "antenna" just because there are 2 of them and they are very close together. I think I'd prefer 2 reachers, one with sticky and one with magnet, but those versions don't seem to allow for a strap attachment (needed for quads). This one is fine. And not too heavy.

And yes, it is not easy removing stuff from the sticky end.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle