Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do people pay for caregiving?

CNA's are $20/hr in New Orleans

Agency rates $22-$35 for PCAs/CNAs. Private pay $12-$25 for PCA/CNA. I don’t know what HCBS pays agencies, but PCAs/CNAs working through agencies on HCBS waivers report being paid minimum wage.

I'm in Oklahoma, and I hire caregivers privately for 1-3 hour shifts twice daily. Depending on the shift and caregiver's experience, I pay 15-$20/hour. In looking around, it seems like my pay is fairly competitive. However, I have a hard time finding and keeping good caregivers on occasion, so maybe I would have better luck if I paid more.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Have you thought about getting a patient lift for your transfers? It would make it a lot easier on your shoulders and easy for your caregivers to assist with the transfers.

I understand that your transfers or caregiver assisted pivot transfers may be faster. I am facing having to use lift transfers instead of NL's very efficient pivot transfers for a time, while NL is recovering from cataract surgeries in August and September. Medicare and most private pay insurance will cover a simple hydraulic lift with a sling. All the paperwork has been done and I expect to have it in several weeks, so we can set up the bed to accommodate the lift and practice transferring. We will have to raise the bed a few inches to accommodate the lift.

Sorry to digress from the original of this thread.

Meanwhile, we will need about 4 days (each surgery) of caregiver assistance, two hours AM & two hours PM at a cost of $120.00 per visit though an agency. I don't see any alternative to this expense since our need for a caregiver is such a short time. A licensed practical nurse (LPN) will be the caregiver. I know it may seem like an unlicensed caregiver may be less expensive, but because of minimum hours for types of caregivers, it turns out to be less expensive for an LPN for 2 hours than an unlicensed caregiver for 4 hours. We don't have a clue what we would do with a 4 hour caregiver, twice a day. As NL says, it isn't like she is in a coma or totally incapacitated. We have discussed our situation with her surgeon, and he has "approved her for duty" after the 4 days.
    You said $120 per visit. Meaning $120 for 4 hours per day? Was it covered by your insurance or was it private pay?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    You said $120 per visit. Meaning $120 for 4 hours per day? Was it covered by your insurance or was it private pay?
    Licensed Practical Nurse was $120, now is $130 for one 2 hour visit. Price increase beginning of September.

An HHA (Home Health Aide) or CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) was $130 now $140 for one 4 hour visit. These hours could not be split i.e., two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening

I have Medicare as primary insurance and a supplement policy, and routine caregiving is not covered.

I do not need a regular caregiver, since NL does all of my care. But, there are times that NL needs down time for her own medical care. While expensive, it is the only alternative we have to our infrequent need for a caregiver.
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-27-2018 at 03:02 PM.

For Anthony 36yo quadriplegic we hired a private caregiver through craigslist started at $12.00 an hour over 4 years ago, now we pay her $15.50. Although can't give pay raises anymore but did now included that we will pay her 10 sick days and 2 weeks vaca a year and will pay her if we go out of town for a couple of days or so so she does not go unpaid just because we go somewhere all this in lieu of no more pay raises. She comes in M-F mornings 9:30-2:00. We have trained her on everything, cathing, trach care, using the electric hoyer lift, etc. Anthony is pretty complex with no voice, trach complete care. She also used to do overnights and live in when we (mom and dad) would go on mini vacations but can't do that anymore because she took in 3 foster kids! Anyways we use trust funds to pay her privately. Also Florida has a medicaid waiver program that Anthony became eligible for about 10years ago maybe less he was on the list about 4 years after being approved for Medicaid. They have a program that allows him a weekly allowance of 40 hours for caregiving and you can hire family and that is me. It pays me $14.50 an hour. That is only because I was grandfathered in from an old program and had to fight fight fight for the bump up to 40 hours a week. I think now if you start out in the program they will only pay what they would pay an agency and I think that is $12.50 hr.

I just started looking for an additional caregiver to come in one day a week for the 9:30-2pm shift and relieve his main caregiver so she only has to come in 4 days a week and also because she can't do the respite care during the year anymore I need someone for this. I'm putting that on another thread . . . .

I found a site called carelinx.com, they are not an agency but kind of an agency after looking though dozens of caregivers it looks like the going rate is $15 in the Tampa area. Some crazy ppl are asking $20-$30 and that is to care for elderly like run errands, "manage household", companion care. I'm finding it hard to find a venue to hire privately without going through an agency. And the problem with going through an agency is they don't "allow" their caregivers to do hands on caregiving like suctioning, intermittent catheterization, i'm not sure if their RNs do or not, but can't afford an RN for the times I want and Anthony needs that.

I have in the past had agencies send someone out and they do what I ask them to do anyway, like suctioning. I am always here though to supervise at the beginning.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by waters3 View Post
    And the problem with going through an agency is they don't "allow" their caregivers to do hands on caregiving like suctioning, intermittent catheterization, i'm not sure if their RNs do or not, but can't afford an RN for the times I want and Anthony needs that.
    Yes, most agencies require an registered nurse for bowel programs and changing catheters, possibly even suctioning. In addition they require doctors orders for these tasks.
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-27-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Licensed Practical Nurse was $120, now is $130 for one 2 hour visit. Price increase beginning of September.

An HHA (Home Health Aide) or CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) was $130 now $140 for one 4 hour visit. These hours could not be split i.e., two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening

I have Medicare as primary insurance and a supplement policy, and routine caregiving is not covered.

I do not need a regular caregiver, since NL does all of my care. But, there are times that NL needs down time for her own medical care. While expensive, it is the only alternative we have to our infrequent need for a caregiver.
    I understand that. You have to do whatever it takes.