Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

I'll give a play by play whats going on while im having this done.. I'll start now, could be fun.

Surgery booked for September 14th.
    So far ive met with my surgeon, she gets it and knows where im coming from and while going over the protentional complication's ( the typical having surgery stuff) completely understands the benefits to myself and starts the wheels in motion.

Ostomy nurses contacted me yesterday (as the surgeons office said they would). Very cool folks, understand everything im talking about. Put together a huge kit of free stuff for me to take home and ''play with''.. because in there words, just because the stoma's not there yet.. doesn't mean I cant start sticking a few different things to myself and see what jives discretionary and ease of use wise for myself. Thought that was groovy! Ive had the biggest bag in the kit strapped to me all day moving it here and there to what works best.
    Next up, I meet with a nurse at the hospital on the 10th to go over my stay. So far judging by the call it sounds like there only expecting me for a couple days. I'll let you know that evening what was up with that.
    Anybody have any questions they wanted answered? I'll ask them

I think it's incumbent on you to be VERY CLEAR that you need a Clinitron Bed, not the ordinary pumped air mattress everybody else gets.
    I finally got my hospital trained! First time around it was 3 1/2 days. Not good when you're lying 24/7.
    I hope you're as satisfied with your colostomy as I am.
    Good luck.
    PS: I found six foot iPhone "extension cords". When connected to the regular 3' charging cable it gives you enough rope to keep the phone by your side 24/7https://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-6-feet-Lightning-extension-cable-for-iphone-8-7-Philips-DS1185-AD385-speaker-/172925977028
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I'll give a play by play whats going on while im having this done.. I'll start now, could be fun.

Surgery booked for September 14th.
    So far ive met with my surgeon, she gets it and knows where im coming from and while going over the protentional complication's ( the typical having surgery stuff) completely understands the benefits to myself and starts the wheels in motion.

Ostomy nurses contacted me yesterday (as the surgeons office said they would). Very cool folks, understand everything im talking about. Put together a huge kit of free stuff for me to take home and ''play with''.. because in there words, just because the stoma's not there yet.. doesn't mean I cant start sticking a few different things to myself and see what jives discretionary and ease of use wise for myself. Thought that was groovy! Ive had the biggest bag in the kit strapped to me all day moving it here and there to what works best.
    Next up, I meet with a nurse at the hospital on the 10th to go over my stay. So far judging by the call it sounds like there only expecting me for a couple days. I'll let you know that evening what was up with that.
    Anybody have any questions they wanted answered? I'll ask them
    Good luck! I assume at your meeting on the 10th an ostomy nurse will mark the stoma site, so the surgeon doesn't select it for you while you're lying on the table?

Pre admission nurse the 10th. Ostomy nurse for marking is on the 11th.

Just a thought. Anybody ever have one come off/ problem with it staying on during transfers?

Just a thought. Anybody ever have one come off/ problem with it staying on during transfers?
    never the wafer, but you need to be present to the geometry of the bag though! If you have a long shirt tucked in and you just try pulling it up and out, there's the possibility that that if it's over and then up/under the bag, that you'll pull the bag off. More often, you'll just un-snap part of the opening. I always check around the periphery to ensue it's still 100% attached.
    You'll soon get the hang of it. Just be mindful. I actually fold mine up behind itself to minimize the tail which is mostly cause in the matter when it gets un-snapped.

Never really a problem transferring.
    NW NJ

Nope. I've not had any issues (yet).

Groovy! How about any issues with it being right under the waistband?

Mine's right above the belt.
    When the chocolate factory is shipping product, I may pull out my shirt and bag in the area so I can oversee production. Whenever out in public I have my fanny-pack on which hides everything including shirt-tail.
    IMO putting it at the wait-line would be very bad planning.
    The only possible downside for my location is the riding in my car (2015 VW GTI), the seatbelt goes right over it. If i'm pumping mud, it can get me a little scared!
    NW NJ

I stuck a 2 piece on this morning about an inch and a half low right of my belly button. Put on the tightest pants with a super cumbersome waistband and went about my day,lots of transfers. stayed stuck, bag got pinched under my belly a bit but stayed snug.