Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Well, its final. Surgery booked for September 14th.

How long was everybodies hospital stay? That's what freaks me out the most

Make Fripple sure you want this hole in you.

Blog Entries
    Supposed to be followed by "any length of hospital stay sucks"

I think it was four days for me. No issue. They just want to make sure everything is working and you can handle everything (i.e. change the bag) before they release you. If it's two days, then great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Make Fripple sure you want this hole in you.
    Oh im ready brother!

How long was everybodies hospital stay?
    I believe it was 5 days. it was over a weekend so may have extended stay by a day.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday afternoon. I was up in my chair the next day. They wanted to see some output before I left, so I didn't leave until Saturday morning.

Without reading seven pages I will tell you my experience being the exact same level as you. I don't know if what I am saying is moot because the original post was months ago. In one very important standpoint it has made life much easier for my caretaker. The bowel program was burdensome and unpleasant for the person having to do it and uncomfortable for me because it's a forever. Now, bowel regiment is done within five minutes of taking the bag off and putting the new one on.

As to your original questions if not already addressed.Yes, you can have smells even with the bag on. But generally for me at least the escaping smells are somewhat rare. But you will always see me sniffing the air to see if I smell poop. Yes, there are sounds. For me, sounds are always embarrassing. And it happens fairly often. I avoid quiet places with lots of people. I don't want to run the risk of embarrassment.Being a C4/C5 quadriplegic some of the remedies for muffling the gas is impossible. The sound starts before you have enough reaction time to do anything and moving your hand down that area just draws more attention to where the sound came from. I don't even have the strength to put my hand over the stoma to muffle the sound.Be prepared to be embarrassed as I have experienced. I just play it off as if it did happen.

I also have an issue with ballooning. It's actually a huge problem for me. I was sent home with the instructions to purchase Hollister ostomy bags. The filter on those things are garbage. I would constantly have blowouts especially in the middle of the night. The ballooning would cause the adhesive to fail and that would be a giant mess in the morning. I switched over to SenSura Mio 1-piece drainable pouch. It has the best filter. Although I still experience ballooning because my stool is so running it clogs the filters. But it has cut down the ballooning. This is going to sound weird but I found putting a tampon inside the bag to absorb some of the liquid has cut down on the ballooning. It soaks up the liquid before it has a chance to clog the filter on the bag. So much so that in the month of experimenting with the tampon I have experienced ballooning just once when it would happen more often. For quadriplegics we cannot open the bag to release the gas so somebody has to do that for us. I don't want to discourage you. I would highly recommend it if you haven't already had it done. Your caretakers will thank you for it especially if you are going a bowel program. But I don't want to sugarcoat it especially being a high-level quad like myself. 10 years with colostomy and I am still learning. At least that is my experience.
    Last edited by PimpinGimp; 08-19-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinGimp View Post
    Without reading seven pages I will tell you my experience being the exact same level as you. I don't know if what I am saying is moot because the original post was months ago. In one very important standpoint it has made life much easier for my caretaker. The bowel program was burdensome and unpleasant for the person having to do it and uncomfortable for me because it's a forever. Now, bowel regiment is done within five minutes of taking the bag off and putting the new one on.

As to your original questions if not already addressed.Yes, you can have smells even with the bag on. But generally for me at least the escaping smells are somewhat rare. But you will always see me sniffing the air to see if I smell poop. Yes, there are sounds. For me, sounds are always embarrassing. And it happens fairly often. I avoid quiet places with lots of people. I don't want to run the risk of embarrassment.Being a C4/C5 quadriplegic some of the remedies for muffling the gas is impossible. The sound starts before you have enough reaction time to do anything and moving your hand down that area just draws more attention to where the sound came from. I don't even have the strength to put my hand over the stoma to muffle the sound.Be prepared to be embarrassed as I have experienced. I just play it off as if it did happen.

I also have an issue with ballooning. It's actually a huge problem for me. I was sent home with the instructions to purchase Hollister ostomy bags. The filter on those things are garbage. I would constantly have blowouts especially in the middle of the night. The ballooning would cause the adhesive to fail and that would be a giant mess in the morning. I switched over to SenSura Mio 1-piece drainable pouch. It has the best filter. Although I still experience ballooning because my stool is so running it clogs the filters. But it has cut down the ballooning. This is going to sound weird but I found putting a tampon inside the bag to absorb some of the liquid has cut down on the ballooning. It soaks up the liquid before it has a chance to clog the filter on the bag. So much so that in the month of experimenting with the tampon I have experienced ballooning just once when it would happen more often. For quadriplegics we cannot open the bag to release the gas so somebody has to do that for us. I don't want to discourage you. I would highly recommend it if you haven't already had it done. Your caretakers will thank you for it especially if you are going a bowel program. But I don't want to sugarcoat it especially being a high-level quad like myself. 10 years with colostomy and I am still learning. At least that is my experience.
    Thank you. We are similar levels, and you have voiced many of my concerns. I work with people in quiet environments, and the thoughts of escaping sounds and smells in such a close environment concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinGimp View Post
    Among the many sample packages I received from suppliers after my surgery was Par-SORB Absorbent Gel Packages. I haven't tried it myself, but according to the package it's a gel packet that you can use it with a one- or two-piece system to solidify runny output and keep it away from the filter. Perhaps something to check out?

I encourage you to write a list of questions for the ostomy nurse. And keep in mind, that everyone is a little different. Not bad - just different. It does take some time to get the routine down - but most people agree that it is worth it.
    Let us know how you are doing with this - you've gotten some very good input from here..
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.