Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    So am I understanding correctly that with a 2 piece the connector around the stoma can stay on for a week and you only change the bag as needed?
    I change my flange every four days when I shower.
    There have been a couple occasions when I didn't change it at four days and it was OK for longer, but I wouldn't risk it as a matter of practice.
    You'll see how well it's holding when you take it off!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Does having a colostomy interfere with having sex?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    No. Some people choose to use an appliance/bag cover but it is not necessary. Best to be sure your bag is not too full of either gas or stool first so it doesn't "pop" between you.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

After 16 years of doing a bowl routine and with shoulder surgery looking me right in the eye I made the decision to have an ostomy done. It has only been about a month now and I have to admit that it has made my life easier as far as bowl care goes. I am a C 6/7 incomplete and I am using a two piece system. I like the two piece system as I can change my bag in less than five minutes. I leave the wafer on for three days and so far I have not had any skin issues. Do I wish I had done it sooner no not really as I saw it as just one more thing that SCI had taken away from me. I am still trying to adjust to the bag hanging of my body and I wear XL t shirt and just let it hide the bag. I tried the reusable bags but the time spent trying to remove the matter from the bag was just a nightmare so I gave up on them and use the disposable ones

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    No! Having a spinal injury does though.

@nevada: Since my injury 22 years ago, I always wear a fanny-pack with wallet, keys, change bill-fold etc.
    It effectively hides the pouch even when it's full. And when there's activity which might require quick response, I'll pull my shirt in that area and the bag as well from below my pants waist-line; no-one can see it.
    The fanny-pack allows me to wear any kind of clothing without a visible bulge. With pants pockets pretty much unusable I can't imagine NOT wearing one.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

On the logistics, do you change the bag every day, say morning and can you sleep on your left side if that is where the bag is? thanks Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruceofmaui View Post
    On the logistics, do you change the bag every day, say morning and can you sleep on your left side if that is where the bag is? thanks Bruce
    If you eat a lot you fill your bag often. I use a bag a day so that I start each day for work without any residual odor from emptying yeterday's bag today. Depending on what I ate previously I may have no volume. If I push 2,500-3,000 calories per day, consistenly then I change or empty a full bag once or more a day (using a large bag).

You can sleep on it, even prone. However, if you're a bigger, risky eater you introduce unpredictability into managing your bag.
    Last edited by Patton57; 06-09-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of variation in timing, frequency of appliance emptying, etc. depending on the type of colostomy you have. If it is in the descending or sigmoid colon (left side of abdomen) the stool will be more formed, and generally pass less often than if you have it in the transverse (upper mid-abdomen) or ascending colon or cecum (right side) where the stool will be very liquid.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Which form of ostomy is most common for SCI folk (if there really is one)?
    Which form do you folks have?

I have a Sigmoid Colon.