Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

My diet changed in that I was much less stressed about what I was eating (read - I felt comfortable eating what I wanted). That said, I lost weight in the first few months and that lead me to track my diet using the underarmour app. It quickly became second nature. I can now go back to see what I've eaten and (more importantly) how many calories I'm consuming.

Cool! Thanks
    Something I've found interesting. I use to run cold, always in a hoodie and heat up a flax pad to haul to bed with me. Since last Sunday, my temp has seemed to level out. Haven't touched a hoodie or my trusty flax pad, I feel just normal. That's weird!

Skin was a little red changing the flange yesterday, figure its just the stoma unswelling so there was a little leak. Couldn't smell anything though. Used some stoma powder and a barrier ring, see how it is Wednesday morning.

Should add, so far I wake up in the morning and bag is just under a quarter full. I get up have a coffee eat a banana theres a little more output and funny noises. Give it an hour or so after Ive been sitting, change the bag and its empty till the following morning. Same routine last 3 mornings. Be sweet if this was the new norm, but im fully aware im only a week in so im not saddling up that horse yet.
    Last edited by Shaun; 09-24-2018 at 04:58 PM.

The barrier ring is a good thing to use. We use a hair dryer to soften it up a bit so it'll form around the appliance opening better. I also use the 1 1/12 or 2" paper tape around the appliance. If it gets dirty its just a matter of changing the tape. It does level out after a while.

For me, I got the leaks from having sharp fingernails for guitar playing. To get around that, I put paper tape between the flange and appliance so the nail wouldn't pierce the membrane of the appliance. I use a pick mostly now so no need for long fingernails.

For me things changed a little bit now and then, but I found that the general rule that your bowel likes routine pretty much sticks (i.e. keep your fluids up, eat well). It's a good time to try out all the samples the various providers send your way and see what works well for you. I found the product reviews here to be a nice guide - the videos helped.

Shaun, with the new bags I'm using I've never had any redness. I pull the old one off every morning, clean off with a little medicated soapy papertowel, rinse, dry then slap the new bag on. I'm too busy to spend time doing of that extra stuff. My routine is pretty normal but I eat what I want and therefore my output will change. No problem, if it's full midday, take 10 mins and I'm done.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Since you are never full does your belly seem significantly less, u know like after an orgasmic bm.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Since you are never full does your belly seem significantly less, u know like after an orgasmic bm.
    Either way, he's always going to be full of it!!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Im finding a 1 min bowel routine almost orgasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Im finding a 1 min bowel routine almost orgasmic!
    It's like night and day! Best decision I've ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Either way, he's always going to be full of it!!
    so true
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer