Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Thanks guys.
    Boy, once it starts flowin you wonder if its going to stop.

Only thing ive noticed is a slight increase in stomach spasms

Id like to start bending over my knees and emptying my leg bag. Still a little nervous. Anybody else do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Boy, once it starts flowin you wonder if its going to stop.

Only thing ive noticed is a slight increase in stomach spasms

Id like to start bending over my knees and emptying my leg bag. Still a little nervous. Anybody else do this?
    all the time. Once you get comfortable with the adhesion of the flange (and I got comfy when I realized it was very reliably adhering) and after blowing off the Hindenberg, it's no problem.
    leaving a lot of gas-not!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    all the time. Once you get comfortable with the adhesion of the flange (and I got comfy when I realized it was very reliably adhering) and after blowing off the Hindenberg, it's no problem.
    leaving a lot of gas-not!
    Great! How soon after your surgery did you start?

glad it went well shaun. go easy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Hi, I've read numerous threads here regarding colostomies, and it has been something I've been considering more and more. I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered:

1. Is the bag visible through clothing?
    2. My work involves communicating with individuals, often in small, quiet settings. Will I need to be concerned about noticeable sounds/smells?
    3. I have a lot of bloating due to retained gas. Will this be alleviated with the colostomy, and will I then need to be concerned about an inflated bag?
    4. Are there any issues with airplane travel?
    Going easy isn't really my style but trying

landrover heres what ive noticed a week in..

1. Doesn't seem to be. When I went in to have this done I didn't tell anybody other than wife,daughter and ma & pa. Since ive been out and people have coming around. No one has noticed the bag. My daughter is on the lookout for it.. she's 17, if she see's anything she's got no problem letting me know about it. All ive been wearing are large t shirts and I havnt been making a large attempt at hiding it, been wearing it outside of my waist band with the shirt over it.

2. There has deffinately been some funny sounds, but people fart. Im only a week in and they say it well get less but im sure its going happen. Smell, I think I can get lite wiff every once and awhile but, im still on super cheap bags till im healed up abit more and my stoma is still unswelling, so every day the flange fitting is little off. Again, daughter is all over it..she says its in my head she cant smell anything..and if she could trust me she would let me know.

3. Im an IBS sufferer so I totally understand your retained gas problem. Mine was so bad id wake up clammy and just blahh all night long. So far, nothing! Its been great in that aspect. As for inflated bag, im still burping mine to keep it flat..easy enough. Im sure the better bags with filters would be nicer and help with that.

4.N/A But soon

One big plus already that I find pretty amazing, im bowel routine this morning took 80 seconds (C5/6, i timed it). Small baggie,a wipe and click a new bag on. And its only been a week.

That's my report so far

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you're happy with your decision!

Have any of you changed your diet since the surgery?

The more in control of your diet you are the more control over your colostomy you have.

I have a Sigmoid Loop C. No change in diet though I am aware of the foods that cause gas and either avoid them or eat 'em.

No change in my diet.