Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

I've had occasional constipation but never has it been a problem. I dealt with constipation before my colostomy, no difference dealing with it now.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

If you guys are having constipation, it may be you aren't drinking enough water. For me, it makes all the difference. I'm seven years post with a Sigmoid Loop.

There prep seems a bit excessive. 2 Bisacodyl tabs at 4 today... 2 at 4 tomorrow and then 2 water fleet enemas 2hrs before I leave for the hospital Friday (surgery day).
    Ive got a lot stuff to do tomorrow so im thinking i'll skip the 2 today. Dought there would be an issue with that.

good luck shauna, hope you are doing great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    There prep seems a bit excessive. 2 Bisacodyl tabs at 4 today... 2 at 4 tomorrow and then 2 water fleet enemas 2hrs before I leave for the hospital Friday (surgery day).
    Ive got a lot stuff to do tomorrow so im thinking i'll skip the 2 today. Dought there would be an issue with that.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks buddy! Hope your doing well also..

Tommorows the big day, cant wait to put this behind me.

Good luck!
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

So the deed is done!
    Had surgery Friday at 3. Spent Saturday resting. In my chair for 7hrs sunday. Home this morning.
    No pain or real discomfort at all. Stomach is deffinately a little tender and im a little more spazzy in my stomach than normal.
    Lots of weird noises lol But so far all good. Want me take it easy for a couple weeks and be mindful of my transfers.
    Was pretty surprised how fast they had me up and moving.
    Last edited by Shaun; 09-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.

They use air, I think to push back the stool while surgery. I remember getting a big blow back about three of four days later. Lots of gas and stuff. So much so, and being new to the C., I filled and blew out the bag. So take it easy for a few days.

I trust it'll go well for you. I have very, very few problems with mine once I got the hang of it's nuances.

Nice. Glad to hear everything went well. Hopefully you'll soon settle into your new routine.

Glad everything went ok. Be patient. It's well worth it.