Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Anybody have issues with hernia's afterwards? They've got me so freaked out about hernia's im almost scared to transfer.

They cut into your gut, so there is a hernia there already. It depends on how well the surgeon affixes the opening if there will be a prolapse or not. Perhaps that's a hernia. I had two prolapses in the first couple years. It was no big deal, the doc went in and cut a bit off and resutured to the skin. Haven't had any issues since then. You will get a slight bulge there because they cut through the muscle to get to the intestine.

Is it possible to wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Is it possible to wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy?
    I recall that I've read the answer to this question at other threads. The answer has been it depends of the location of the stoma and the type of binder used. Evidently there are binders with a design that accommodates cut outs for various stoma/tube placements.

I found the reference that I mentioned above: Post #6 at http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=KLD+binder
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-27-2018 at 06:53 PM.

They have a belt called a Stealth Belt. Perfect for someone upright but doesn't look so much for someone seated with a little quad belly. Im sure im just way over thinking it in my usual paranoid way.

So were 2 months in. Only thing I can report is this has been the best thing ive done for myself since my injury...well, maybe 2nd to getting married to my rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    So were 2 months in. Only thing I can report is this has been the best thing ive done for myself since my injury...well, maybe 2nd to getting married to my rock.
    Awesome! I said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Awesome! I said the same thing.
    Ditto. It was agony making the decision to get the procedure, that was the toughest part of the entire process.

Did you buy the Stealth Belt Shaun? If so how's it working? I'd love to find something to corral the bulge.

Glad it's working out for you. Worst thing for me is the quad belly look; which is nothing compared to pre colostomy.

great to hear buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer