Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Colostomy questions

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    5 days, that's great. I was good at 5 days. Things got more intense once I was eating a regular diet for a minute or 3. Gas happens - for me it doesn't just sit and twist me up inside anymore, it actually passes when it should.
    What happened? Or what do you mean by things getting intense? I've been on a regular diet since the night of surgery. I have not had a lot of output, but have been feeling well.

Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    What happened? Or what do you mean by things getting intense? I've been on a regular diet since the night of surgery. I have not had a lot of output, but have been feeling well.
    I got back to a regular diet while in the hospital (a 3 night stay). I thought it took a long time to have real output for what I was putting in. Took a while (and still working on it at 3 months post) to get the range of consistency I want for output. Also working on the "When". I want a bit of predictability, within reason. I've had to experiment with different products to find what works and what doesn't. I've experienced too much output at one time and none at all for 4 days...more fun stuff to work out, but like I say, a process.

I was 27 years post when I did this, so I was already heavily dependent on stimulation from both ends. I still don't know how dependent I am on stimulation now.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    I got back to a regular diet while in the hospital (a 3 night stay). I thought it took a long time to have real output for what I was putting in. Took a while (and still working on it at 3 months post) to get the range of consistency I want for output. Also working on the "When". I want a bit of predictability, within reason. I've had to experiment with different products to find what works and what doesn't. I've experienced too much output at one time and none at all for 4 days...more fun stuff to work out, but like I say, a process.

I was 27 years post when I did this, so I was already heavily dependent on stimulation from both ends. I still don't know how dependent I am on stimulation now.
    Have you tried one tablet of Immodium in the morning? Did the trick for me and my Sigmoid Loop C.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Have you tried one tablet of Immodium in the morning? Did the trick for me and my Sigmoid Loop C.
    Haven't tried immodium. Am trying to find a miralax/psyllium balance. I really like the psyllium for consistency. Trying Miralax at different intervals (from every day to every 2 and 3). My diet seems to be dictating this big 2 day "cleansing" and 4-5 day moderate to none. I do eat very differently on weekends, so makes sense. What is the benefit to immodium?

shaun !!! it's been a long time !! hope u remember me...i hope life has been treating u well !! jim n i have been struggling w this for about 8 months n i knew coming to CC would help w our decision. the hardest part is making the decision indeed !! 28 yrs. n he's ready however so many things running through our minds. i wish u well n look forward to hearing about your process !! i've never stopped thinking about ALL u guys n gals.... hoping that LIFE has treated u ALL well. take care always stormie xo
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

All this is really good take home advice. Thank you everyone!

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It has been three months now since I had my ostomy installed and so far I have only had one incident or blow out for lack of a better term. However my main issue is with pancaking which happens on a regular basis. I am trying to firm up my stool via diet but I am still dealing with this issue. I hope that in the next three months I have it figured out. I will say that not having to worry about doing my bowel routine on a daily basis has been great. I do sometimes get a little depressed knowing that I need a tube to pee and a bag to shit excuse my french

I had my colostomy surgery on June 27. I have not had any issues yet. I wish I would have done it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    It has been three months now since I had my ostomy installed and so far I have only had one incident or blow out for lack of a better term. However my main issue is with pancaking which happens on a regular basis. I am trying to firm up my stool via diet but I am still dealing with this issue. I hope that in the next three months I have it figured out. I will say that not having to worry about doing my bowel routine on a daily basis has been great. I do sometimes get a little depressed knowing that I need a tube to pee and a bag to shit excuse my french
    Are you using a one or two piece system? Are your clothes loose enough around the stoma area? That could cause pancaking.

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I was having this problem and it was suggested to me to 1. blow air into a new bag to prevent vacuuming, 2. take a small piece of wet toilet paper and insert into bag to prevent vacuuming, 3. use deoderent/lube to prevent vacuuming. I do all 3 and it does help.