Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower Chair-is there a good one?

Shower Chair-is there a good one?

Hi, I've been using the old blue Invacare shower chair model 6490. It's been discontinued for a long time now. I tried the Invacare Mariner Shower Chair Model: 6795 and it's terrible for me and unusable. I'm a C4-C5- quad. The seat on the Mariner doesn't go all the way back to the canes of the chair and the back fabric is so low it feels like I'm basically lying down. I'm only about 5' 10" and I almost fall over the back fabric, I guess because the seat is so far forward and can't be moved closer to the back posts. Has anyone else had this problem? It there a better shower chair I can get? Also, if anyone has wheels for the old blue Invacare shower chair model 6490 or any model of the old blue shower chair, please let me know.

Any recommendations on a good shower chair would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Joe

Check out shower/commode chairs from ActiveAid, Nuprodx and Raz Designs. They are not cheap, but they make good quality equipment that lasts a long time.

http://razdesigninc.com/
    http://www.nuprodx.com/
    http://activeaid.com/

They all can also offer customization for most features including back height, seat depth, etc.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I highly recommend the Raz with the optional pressure relief seat.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Same here The Raz is great lot of options to make it fit and very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post

Thanks! Has any quad here used the Invacare Mariner Shower Chair Model: 6795 successfully?

Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    After 30 years my medical insurance is finally covering shower chairs.

I think RAZ makes the best shower chairs on the market today, Canada, United States and world wide.

I got my RAZ-SP last June and I ordered quick release axles which I thought was a good idea when I need to take my shower chair with me on vacation it would be more compact in the van.

Upon delivery with the wheels locked the shower chair was very unstable and wobbly with the quick release axles. Even adjusting the axles they were still unstable. I went back to the standard bolt and nut axles and now I have a very tight fit with no wobbling.

This is not a RAZ problem but a BodyPoint problem that RAZ offers as an accessory. That is the BodyPoint Pelvic Belt - BodyPoint Aeromesh item number Z736PX. Just look at the picture and see where it lies near your pubic area. I would not advise to get that one but the Z735 Pelvic Positioning Strap (2-piece with Fastex buckle) instead. This belt is made of nylon and will dry much quicker and will not absorb water.

Why? The BodyPoint belt is made of material and does not dry completely. If you take a shower daily the belt is constantly wet even with a shower room window open. Bacteria will start to grow in the belt. You have no way of cleaning it 100% with Clorox or other disinfectant.

I rarely get a uti because I am very meticulous with my bladder care but last month I got hit with a symptomatic uti that punched the hell out of me! It has been decades since I had a uti that bad that I had to take off from work for two days before I started to feel better and I strongly believe I pick up the bacteria from the seat belt because it is very close to the urethra.

I have on order the Z735 Pelvic Positioning Strap (2-piece with Fastex buckle) and just today I was trying to take off the BodyPoint belt but they used lock-tight on the thumb screw bolt and nut. The belt was still wet and it is 86 degrees today in Oberlin, Ohio. I was able to get one side off but not the other otherwise I would have put on an adjustable luggage strap with tie-wraps to hold in place for time being.

For those of you who have a BodyPiont belt beware! You might want to change it out to the Z735 Pelvic Positioning Strap (2-piece with Fastex buckle).

Don't learn it the hard way.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 05-27-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I'll definitely heed your warning! Thanks for the great info!

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    You should also take a look at GO! Mobility Solutions at www.GoesAnywhere.com. They're fully portable so if you'd like to travel with them you may easily do so. I invented them and use mine every day.

rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I like Raz.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

The Invacare I currently use has a 16" wide seat. I emailed Raz about a 16" wide seat and they replied:

We can build 16”W seats.
    However, to ensure maximum support, we will recommend that this be installed on a 16”W frame.
    This will prevent the chair from rolling over a toilet.
    Perhaps the chair will only be used for showering?

That doesn't make sense. My 16" wide seat goes over the toilet and the frame is wider than 16", which would make the chair more stable. I'm in NJ and he just referred me to Numotion or National Seating and Mobility (NSM) branch. I different dealer I spoke with said they cost thousands of dollars. Is that so?

Thanks!
    Joe