Thread: Benefits of catching a blood infection early on?

Benefits of catching a blood infection early on?

I?m Midway into the third week of being bedridden because of a stage III/updated borderline stage IV according to the nurse at the Lynnhurst center? Who sent me directly to the hospital after our meeting. They were worried about The sore being infected especially considering it?s depth most importantly ruling out septicaemia and osteomyelitis. Well we just got some results today, there is an infection in the wound and forming in my blood. But as of Tuesday they put me on Clavulin when I left the ER just to be safe, for three weeks. We just got this news today that it is in the blood, but we know we caught it early because my white blood cell count is not of concern just yet. If I was feeling any different they are words, they wanted me to come in to the hospital but truth be told I don?t really feel any different ( problem is it?s really hard to tell if you are sick when you are bedridden, because just by being bedridden feel like shit) but I have no fever, etc. so we are just reading on the results that will come tomorrow to show if the bug is susceptible to the drug I was given Tuesday for three weeks. I guess I?m just asking the nurses on this board for peace of mind, in case they don?t call tomorrow ( and also I have a history of antibiotic resistance from my early years with constant bladder infections, and whether or not that will follow me into this situation) because it is the weekend: if you catch a blood infection early on can it be treated with oral antibiotics? I was under the impression that it?s pretty much always IV.

Thanks for the info

Septicemia is generally treated with IV antibiotics, followed by a course of oral antibiotics. The problem with septicemia is that you can generally be feeling ok one minute and horrible the next. You may or may not run a fever. Your blood pressure can plummet, but given that you probably run low, this is not a sign to wait for. Whether or not it is the weekend, I would call whomever prescribed the antibiotic and see their recommendation. This is not something to fool around with.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've had three infections and it can affect you fast. I didn't really feel bad, I didn't run a fever, I experienced a slight headache and that was it until my blood pressure dropped so low that when I would sit up, I would pass out. I went to the hospital all 3 times and was on I.V. vancomycin and other antibiotics.
    Last edited by Brent K; 06-13-2018 at 09:11 PM.

This doctor, Paul Marik, who happens to be local, Norfolk, VA, has been getting a fair amount of attention for what seems to be some effective treatment of sepsis. Still more research to be done but he's had a pretty high sucess rate.

https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/admi...ign=magazine94

Article on research:
    https://pilotonline.com/news/local/h...b37bb0791.html