Thread: Any incomplete quads using bioness stimulators

Any incomplete quads using bioness stimulators

I'm going to try them in the coming weeks, anyone have improvements with them?
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I am an incomplete quad as well and my biggest issue with walking is slight drop foot in my left foot and hamstring strength in the left leg to keep my knee from hyperextending. After getting the bioness system, I did notice improvements in muscle growth and coordination by being able to swing my left leg through the swing phase in my gait without my foot dragging or knee hyperextending. I started using the system while in Physical therapy to ensure safety from falling. Then progressed to using it around the house and on my treadmill. I have tried using it daily, but did not have the muscle stamina to be able to use it as a daily device. Since I have been wearing a custom AFO since I left the hospital almost 2 years ago, my ankle is very unstable which made it difficult to walk for long periods of time with the bioness. I also noticed that when wearing the bioness my spasticity in my gastroc and soleus muscles will sometimes over power the electrostimulation on my anterior tib after long periods of use. I struggle with a strong clonus pattern in my left leg when I do not get a clean heel strike. I also work full time in an office where I wear pants and sit for extended periods of time so the bioness thigh cuff either would be uncomfortable to sit on or slides in the wrong position. So having to go to the bathroom to readjust the system became more of a pain than a benefit.

All in all, I think it is a great training tool. It allows for a clean heel strike and when wearing it you get the feeling of walking in a more normal gait pattern. The draw backs that I have personally is that you have to place the thigh cuff and shin cuff correctly on the muscle groups that need to be stimulated or it does not do what it is supposed to do or will set off spasticity.

I originally thought it would be the answer to all of my problems, but I had not spent enough time strengthening my left leg to be able to support my body weight. So recently, I spent more time strengthening those muscles and wearing my afo daily. I now use the system when gait training on my treadmill.

I hope this helps..
    Last edited by Rwlewis; 06-08-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks for the input, I want to increase my ability to walk and hopefully increase my stamina which degraded substantially after brain radiation for small cell lung cancer.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

The bioness rep fitted me with the L 300 go yesterday, it's a little more shocking than I thought it would be, but it works, it helps with the foot drop and the upper helps my quads for extension. She videotaped it and my wife said it was a very obvious improvement, I couldn't see it but I don't know how I look walking.
    The rep said I'll get used to the shocks, 20 minutes twice the first day, 25 minutes the second day and so on.

After spending more time in the weight room concentrating on my hip and core muscles for standing and balance, I have begun to use my bioness more for everyday use. I have found that it has become very beneficial, in a neurological sense, as I have the feeling of a normal gait compared to my hinged afo. The stimulation provides a signal to my nerves to 'pick up' my foot, something that I noticed was lacking with walking with my afo.

Using the stim training will help your muscles gain strength as well as get used to the shock that the bioness provides. Continue on the training program the rep provided as well as your own strength training and you should see some walking improvements.

I haven't started yet, going through all the bureaucracy right now, do you have the lower and upper cuff or just the lower cuff?
    I'll be getting the lower and upper cuff for a one month trial, the the va will make the decision to purchase it.