Thread: Are group 24 gel batteries covered by Medicare?

Are group 24 gel batteries covered by Medicare?

I currently use 22..which are not sufficient for me because I am incredibly active, but I know that Medicare gives a lot of problems when it comes to anything deemed not necessary for in home use. Has anyone got them paid for by Medicare? Any info? Thanks!

Since being on Medicare, I have replaced at least 4 sets of batteries, all have been Group 24 batteries, without a problem or question. Make sure your chair can physically accommodate Group 24 batteries. Some manufacturers have built their battery cases for Group 22 batteries to try to reduce floor to seat height in some models of power chairs.

I think alot mush be up to DME now-a-days.
    Use to private and medicare covered the size battery the chair manufacturer deemed appropriate for your make/model and equipment on powerchair. Some chairs required smaller batteries due to decreased space from added equipment.
    I've had Group 27's covered in past by Medicare on 21st Century H-Frames, as well as Group 24 on Amysytems AllTrack R3-HD and Group 22 on Quantum, Pride, Jazzy powerchairs.
    Last time checked on batteries new owners of DME we use to do business with suggested we buy our own batteries since not cost effective for them to do it. But, if we could not find someone able to install they would schedule a Service Call which they charge us for.
    We got batteries and neighbor installed.

Yes. I just got new batteries for my power chair yesterday, and I was never charged a co-pay. Medicare, and Medicaid took care of it. They're Group 24.
    Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorrow View Post
    I currently use 22..which are not sufficient for me because I am incredibly active, but I know that Medicare gives a lot of problems when it comes to anything deemed not necessary for in home use. Has anyone got them paid for by Medicare? Any info? Thanks!
    NF22 battery's are you in a Pride chair?

If so what model?

I don't know a chair that uses NF 22s that can use any other size.

Permobil will support 34 batteries and 24s.

Medicare will cover batteries one pair per year and get them replaced each year.