Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colossal ventures Inc. = bad, unplug your modem this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my iMac and HP DeskJet 3054. Did you eventually find a fix?
    Presumably, you are connected to the printer via WiFi?

Does the printer appear in your "Printers List"?

Can you see it listed in the router's client table? (you will have to log on to the router to see that)

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    Presumably, you are connected to the printer via WiFi?

Does the printer appear in your "Printers List"?

Can you see it listed in the router's client table? (you will have to log on to the router to see that)
    iMac connected directly to HP DeskJet and LaserJet. NL's laptop (new MacBook Pro) connected to my computer by Wifi and then to printers.

Both printers appear in the Printers List. iMac indicated neither computer is on line, same on the MacBook Pro.

I'll check the router's client table.

To save logging into router install who's on my wifi this is a useful utility for checking wifi networks and you can add machine names if you know the mac address

iMac connected directly to HP DeskJet and LaserJet. NL's laptop (new MacBook Pro) connected to my computer by Wifi and then to printers.
    To be clear/pedantic:

• iMac has wires tethering it to each of two printers
    • iMac connects to The Internet (via router?) via wired? or wireless?? connection
    • Macbook connects to router as well -- wirelessly? (and, through the router, to the iMac and/or Internet)
    • if your iMac is powered off, the printers can't be accessed? (IIRC, the Deskjet has two interfaces -- wifi and wired -- but I'm not sure if it allows both to be operational, concurrently)

Both printers appear in the Printers List.
    The iMac's Printers List? What does the Macbook see/say?

iMac indicated neither computer is on line, same on the MacBook Pro.
    I assume you meant ^^^^^^^ "neither printer" there?

So, suggesting answers to some of my own questions, above, both computers "are aware of" both printers, but neither computer currently "sees" ("offline") either printer? I.e., your problem also applies to the Laserjet -- you can't print on either printer from either computer.

As the iMac doesn't rely on the wifi at all to access the printers, an inability to print from the iMac suggests the printing subsystem is misbehaving. Double check all wires? Any idiot lights lit on the printers? Anything enqueued waiting to be printed?

I'll check the router's client table.
    Can the Macbook and iMac see "each other"? (file sharing, etc.) Can both computers see "The Internet" (and the router, along the way)? E.g., you should be able to access the router from both computers (all DNS queries will pass through the router so if you can resolve a URL then that's proof that you can get to/through the router.) If, for example, you are using the iMac to read/write, here, then the iMac has Internet connectivity...

Figure out what connections (appear to) work and which don't so you can define the constraints on the problem's "location"

I'm having the same problem with my iMac and HP DeskJet 3054. Did you eventually find a fix?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_aYuvLuTU

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    To be clear/pedantic:

• iMac has wires tethering it to each of two printers
    • iMac connects to The Internet (via router?) via wired? or wireless?? connection
    • Macbook connects to router as well -- wirelessly? (and, through the router, to the iMac and/or Internet)
    • if your iMac is powered off, the printers can't be accessed? (IIRC, the Deskjet has two interfaces -- wifi and wired -- but I'm not sure if it allows both to be operational, concurrently)

The iMac's Printers List? What does the Macbook see/say?

I assume you meant ^^^^^^^ "neither printer" there? Yes, I meant printer

So, suggesting answers to some of my own questions, above, both computers "are aware of" both printers, but neither computer currently "sees" ("offline") either printer? I.e., your problem also applies to the Laserjet -- you can't print on either printer from either computer.

As the iMac doesn't rely on the wifi at all to access the printers, an inability to print from the iMac suggests the printing subsystem is misbehaving. Double check all wires? Any idiot lights lit on the printers? Anything enqueued waiting to be printed?

Can the Macbook and iMac see "each other"? (file sharing, etc.) Can both computers see "The Internet" (and the router, along the way)? E.g., you should be able to access the router from both computers (all DNS queries will pass through the router so if you can resolve a URL then that's proof that you can get to/through the router.) If, for example, you are using the iMac to read/write, here, then the iMac has Internet connectivity...

Figure out what connections (appear to) work and which don't so you can define the constraints on the problem's "location"
    Thanks for taking the time to help. At the suggestion of the good folks at Apple Care, I reinstalled the latest operating system on both the iMac and MacBook Pro and all is well. Must have been a gremlin somewhere.

Best
    GJ

At the suggestion of the good folks at Apple Care, I reinstalled the latest operating system on both the iMac and MacBook Pro and all is well.
    Ha! That;s ONE way to reset the printing subsystem!!