Thread: Any para's use a pop-up tent trailer or something like a Scamp?

Any para's use a pop-up tent trailer or something like a Scamp?

Just wondering if anyone has modified a pop-up tent camper or something like a Scamp trailer? Looking for something lite weight and low cost.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

That's something I often dream about!
    Before my accident, I had a small Coleman poptop that I loved. I put a deep cycle battery on the tongue in a marine box, and ran an extra circuit from the car's battery. I stuck a 70A glow-plug fuse at the car's battery in case the car battery got low and the starter tried to pull 100A through #10 wire. Whenever driving, the trailer battery was charged by the car. All the lighting was converted to 12V; I had a real nice pull out Kenwood radio/cassette player in the tow car, and a slide in the camper w/ADS mini speakers and an antenna on the roof. I even had a fan! It sure was cozy!
    Since my injury I've considered taking on the modification of such a camper for the wheel chair.
    It would be doable to toss the half elliptics and make a simple 3 link suspension (Panhard rod and two radius) then spring it with air springs, but I hunch that wouldn't get it low enough. There are a number of rear suspensions on foreign FWD cars that are !_____! shaped, and can be easily narrowed/widened to fit, and would allow the trailer to kneel, possibly to sit on it's frame which would make the door opening only 6" high. The lateral part of this would be against the underside of the trailer and at the beginning of the wheel well; the trailing arms of it will go up into the wheel well with the tires. If the well isn't big enough, it can be enlarged at the loss of only a little space inside.
    The doorway will need enlargement. For a fabricating fool like myself, not too big a deal! If there's a telescopic post there, it needs to be re-located, but AFAI recall, at least in the Coleman, the rigid part there was the door and aluminum door frame that hung from and swung down from the roof. You'd probably need to rearrange a little so once in, you can turn the chair 90* so you can run it back and forth inside.
    A ramp might not be necessary; I routinely haul myself in and out over single steps as long as there's something to pull in on.
    l
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

To me, the fewer the modifications the better. I could see using a ramp, and the interior would have to be at least partially gutted to at least allow turning around.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.