Thread: Hand controls

Hand controls

ok i have a set of portable ones however they do not fit on my new car since the gas pedal comes out of the floor not the firewall. is there another bracket i can buy to let this set work with a floor mounted pedal? instead of the bar bracket i would need something like a plate that i could attach at the top of the pedal. if you know what i am talking about i guess i don't even know what i am talking about but the bar bracket that is on my portable hand controls won't work!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

If its your own car, why aren't you putting regular , permanent controls on? If its your car, drill a hole in the gas pedal to attach the rod.

because they are way too costly and i have no money to do that! figured it out just swapped brackets and all is fixed. using the brake bracket on the gas pedal and the gas bracket on the brake pedal. don't know why i didn't do that in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    If its your own car, why aren't you putting regular , permanent controls on? If its your car, drill a hole in the gas pedal to attach the rod.
    By the way, I tried to install MPS hand controls in my 1992 Econoline van. But the steering column was not accessible (of course it's there, but behind layers of other stuff). Hence, portable hand controls were the only DIY option. I stumbled upon a neat unintended feature. Because they are so flexible to install, I tried different combinations of brake/gas post lengths. With the brake post fully extended and the gas post shortened a few notches, I can use them in the conventional push/pull fashion entirely with my left hand, or push/push fashion with left hand brake and right hand gas. That way, I can use either hand to steer a turn, which is great for the sake of balance.

I think people are mistaken when they say permanent hand controls are better than portables. If you get the good portables (not the silly one that you operate the gas with your thumb) the main difference is that permanent ones have a mounting bracket and portables ones have a mounting strap. Having said that, you have to know how to install them. You have to eliminate excessive lateral play in order to prevent inadvertently applying gas while braking. Installed correctly, portables ones are way more flexible and fun IMO.

When I say install them correctly, I mean reduce the strap length as much as possible to minimize lateral play. Or you can make your own bracket if necessary to totally eliminate lateral play. If you use the strap, then one thing you want to keep in mind is that the handle should always be to the left of the brake pedal. That way you won't apply gas while braking.
    Last edited by August West; 05-23-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Can you show pics of what you did? And what car this was on? Need to share info for future use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    because they are way too costly and i have no money to do that! figured it out just swapped brackets and all is fixed. using the brake bracket on the gas pedal and the gas bracket on the brake pedal. don't know why i didn't do that in the first place!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

was on a mazda cx-5 but can be adapted for any car that gas pedal comes out of floor all i did was switch the brackets the one that was normally used on the gas i put on the brake as it was a bit longer and the shorter one i put on the gas. really pretty easy the one with the chain is on my brake and the one without is on the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    was on a mazda cx-5 but can be adapted for any car that gas pedal comes out of floor all i did was switch the brackets the one that was normally used on the gas i put on the brake as it was a bit longer and the shorter one i put on the gas. really pretty easy the one with the chain is on my brake and the one without is on the gas.
    I have the same hand control. You didn't reverse the brackets. You installed them as they are supposed to be. The brake pedal is supposed to have the chain. By the way, if cost is an issue and you prefer the permanent hand controls, they are available on Ebay for the same price. I can sell you one if you want.

I always search eBay for handcontrols and have two extra monarch handcontrols for about $300 when I bought them years ago. I have three sets for three cars we own.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

it's not the hand controls them self it's the cost to have them put in.

and i always thought that the chain went on the gas pedal as that is what the directions said or i thought that is what they said anyway.