Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for employed SCIs

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I chose mornings because that was my clockwork for about thirty years pre-injury.
    Your body usually knows what's best. Morning glory it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I go after work because I don't want to get up at 5am.
    Me too, I do every other day in the evening. The current iteration of this tortuous routine is going on right now and takes from 90 minutes to 2 hours. I'm not willing to wake up that early, and in any case I noticed that I got less "after burn" if I went to sleep shortly after going.

I just try to make it a productive part of my day and bring my laptop, some books to read, etc.

Evenings for me.

I don't know about everyone else, but my BP length can be a little unpredictable. Anywhere from 45-90 minutes. So I'd rather not have to get up extra early just in case it goes long. I do mine in the evenings 3X week. I already get up at 5:30 to leave the house around 7 AM, so it's nice not to have BP to worry about in the morning.

Before my 2012 colostomy, I did it every third day, which was confusing/hard to keep track.
    Then I started doing Wed evening and Sunday am (3 1/2 days).
    That worked fine for me for 14 years. Certainly opened up a lot of time for me!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I go after work because I don't want to get up at 5am.

I get up at 6am do my routine, gets me to work by 9:30am

I work different shifts, hours and to find consistency took quite a bit of brainstorming. Currently on evening shift, so I go in the mornings (830). When working Night shift, I go at 1800 - leave at 2030 and work from 2200 - 0600. During Day shift, go in the evenings, and get to bed by 2230. I get up at 0500 to get to work by 0700. Day shift is roughest, because I dont sleep very well at night, and as soon as my sleep med wears off (usually 4-5 hours), my legs are up and jumping, even though I do not want to be!

I'd cultivate the Elvis look.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

New question:
    How do you handle bowel accidents at work? Statistically they happen.
    I can only imagine rolling at top speed for the car to gtf out of there...
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

No idea how you guys go without taking a dump every day. I'd be an excess tone/spastic neuro pain mess. Re "programs", I think they are fascinating theories, but I've found not jamming a laxative up your ass and hoping it actually stops working at some point is way too unpredictable. If you are high enough to still have spinal cord reflexes...just use a 'reflexive' taking a dump method. Stop pooping when you stop, and go whenever you find it necessary. Works just like nature intended, sort of.

Re dumps at work...if you hear gurgling, tone issues, pain...there's your cue that you probably ate something that wants to power exit. Don't bend down...make your way out. So far my sphincter seems to be locked down even with an explosive mess lurking.