Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Econoline brakes

no, remember that guy turned out to be a hack, modded booster did nothing. i sent it back........the 2500 has bigger brakes than a 1500..
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Your booster add-ons didn't work out?
    You know we got some pretty steep mountain downgrades out here, 7% in some instances that go on for eeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr. Maybe it's 7% up and 6% down, doesn't matter. I think those are where I managed to overheat and warp two sets of front rotors on my old 2500 2005 Chev Express. I was very careful to stay off the brakes as much as possible with the 2016 on our long trip when we got it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
    imho: You have close to one of the worst stopping stock vans iv'e ever driven.

It was only beat out by the older ones.

The Fords always stopped much better.

Fortunately you can easily upgrade them.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    imho: You have close to one of the worst stopping stock vans iv'e ever driven.

It was only beat out by the older ones.

The Fords always stopped much better.

Fortunately you can easily upgrade them.

Jim
    i agree. based on the explorer high top conv weight, the 1500 brakes are close to maxxed......... what are your preferred brake upgrade jim? its a 2014
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Love my EBC pads with drilled, slotted rotors on my Chevy Express 1500, huge stopping difference over stock setup!

I have a 93 E150 and 2010 E250 and they both stop fine, and braking never a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i agree. based on the explorer high top conv weight, the 1500 brakes are close to maxxed......... what are your preferred brake upgrade jim? its a 2014
    More like past max.

Its been quite a while, but as I recall we did pads, performance rotors (drilled and slotted) and performance calipers.

Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

More like past max.

Its been quite a while, but as I recall we did pads, performance rotors (drilled and slotted) and performance calipers.

Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

Jim
    probably why explorer only does 2500's now.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

More like past max.

Jim
    My Econoline brakes work just as good as my car brakes when applying light force. The slow response time on the Econoline vs the car is only when I apply the brakes as hard as possible.

Jim
    You said a modification changes the amount of effort.... That is a good thing isn't it?

You also said it makes the van stop better. What is the bad part? I'm thinking the pads wear out faster.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.