Thread: Seat belts

Seat belts

I'm a C4/5 complete. I have a minivan that I sit in the front passenger area. I have an EZ-lock, but other then that, I do not use the lap/shoulder belt, even though I have the setup to do so. Basically all I have is my chair's lap belt, which I imagine would be useless in a crash. I imagine even a chest strap would be useless as well. I imagine in a significant crash my chair would stay secure, but I would not. Anyone else not use the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt, or am I the only stupid one (digging out tie-down for belt clip now).

We always used the shoulder/lap belt in addition to the wheelchair belt in my mother's van, which had a similar set up to yours.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I'm a C4/5 complete. I have a minivan that I sit in the front passenger area. I have an EZ-lock, but other then that, I do not use the lap/shoulder belt, even though I have the setup to do so. Basically all I have is my chair's lap belt, which I imagine would be useless in a crash. I imagine even a chest strap would be useless as well. I imagine in a significant crash my chair would stay secure, but I would not. Anyone else not use the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt, or am I the only stupid one (digging out tie-down for belt clip now).
    We use a normal seat belt and it locks in to the track on the floor with an extender. In Ariz you can get a $200 Plus ticket for not wearing one.

Wheelchair seat belts are useless at the waste also if you have minimal upper body strength.

The seat belt goes over my shoulder and down around the armrest polls on my F3 and locks in like normal.

Wearing just a wheelchair seat belt sounds totally dangerous. I have looked at some of the "tie downs" that they offer on chairs and I just can't imagine that any wheelchair is designed to deal with the loads that would be implied on it in an accident.

This may come from me being the son of an engineer who helped design stuff for Navy military planes and installed seat belts in his cars before the manufactures were requires to.

Cheers,
    Jim

I use the vans seat and shoulder belt with the extender too. California also has a seat belt law with a substantial fine for not wearing these belts and that means every passenger in the car/van. That said, I'm not sure they would do much good either, but all conversions use the seat/shoulder strap as part of their crash certification.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Wearing just a wheelchair seat belt sounds totally dangerous. I have looked at some of the "tie downs" that they offer on chairs and I just can't imagine that any wheelchair is designed to deal with the loads that would be implied on it in an accident.

This may come from me being the son of an engineer who helped design stuff for Navy military planes and installed seat belts in his cars before the manufactures were requires to.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Only a few companies have put their wheelchair tie-down systems through crash testing. I know that Q'staint and EZ-Lock have both done this, and have the results on their website.

https://www.qstraint.com/
    http://www.ezlock.net/safety.php

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.