Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Econoline brakes

Econoline brakes

If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
    Last edited by August West; 05-21-2018 at 06:47 PM.

What speed are you attempting these brake tests at?

The weight of a van is much more than that of a car. Slowing that inertia will take extra braking force if not time. I'm guessing you've taken that into account?

I have an E-350. I don't drive, I ride. But the brakes on it are big heavy duty buggers and they'll stop the van at a surprising rate. Just as good as a mid sized car.

All I can think of for causes is the anti-lock brakes causing the extra time to stop.

Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
    im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.
    That is what I thought at first. But then I googled it and they say the mass of the vehicle should not affect stopping distance. I don't think that applies to payloads, just the vehicle itself. The reasoning is that larger vehicles have larger tires and brakes. Makes sense. Otherwise, it would be a safety issue if only light cars could stop quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
    So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.

I have a big Ford van 1991, it had anti lock brakes on the rear. They anti lock system went bad and that increased the stopping distance. Might check yours.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.
    i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
    Your booster add-ons didn't work out?
    You know we got some pretty steep mountain downgrades out here, 7% in some instances that go on for eeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr. Maybe it's 7% up and 6% down, doesn't matter. I think those are where I managed to overheat and warp two sets of front rotors on my old 2500 2005 Chev Express. I was very careful to stay off the brakes as much as possible with the 2016 on our long trip when we got it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You mention the year 1992 but I don't know brake equipment on Ford Econoline as already posted first thought ABS system, difference in size van compared to your car.
    Also, when they changed booster did they do a pressure test on your brake system and check out ABS system?
    Older van then comes to mind they use have a rubber hose from front of brake booster to back of carb for vacuum.
    Had old Cadillac that started having slow stopping, kinda had think way ahead on stopping. I first checked wheel brake cylinders, all good with good pads all around. Then replaced master cylinder thinking it was going bed cause brake pedal would sink a bit when stopped and must be going bad. Then I replaced booster, still no good.
    When putting booster on hose to carb seemed to move greatly at carb. Took breather off and about 3-4" of that hose was rotten.
    Would of save bunch time and money if checked all that first.