Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Econoline brakes

  1. #1

    Econoline brakes

    If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

    The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

    I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
    Last edited by August West; 05-21-2018 at 06:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,170
    What speed are you attempting these brake tests at?

    The weight of a van is much more than that of a car. Slowing that inertia will take extra braking force if not time. I'm guessing you've taken that into account?

    I have an E-350. I don't drive, I ride. But the brakes on it are big heavy duty buggers and they'll stop the van at a surprising rate. Just as good as a mid sized car.

    All I can think of for causes is the anti-lock brakes causing the extra time to stop.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,170
    Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

    The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

    I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
    im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.
    That is what I thought at first. But then I googled it and they say the mass of the vehicle should not affect stopping distance. I don't think that applies to payloads, just the vehicle itself. The reasoning is that larger vehicles have larger tires and brakes. Makes sense. Otherwise, it would be a safety issue if only light cars could stop quickly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
    So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.

  7. #7
    I have a big Ford van 1991, it had anti lock brakes on the rear. They anti lock system went bad and that increased the stopping distance. Might check yours.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.
    i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
    Your booster add-ons didn't work out?
    You know we got some pretty steep mountain downgrades out here, 7% in some instances that go on for eeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr. Maybe it's 7% up and 6% down, doesn't matter. I think those are where I managed to overheat and warp two sets of front rotors on my old 2500 2005 Chev Express. I was very careful to stay off the brakes as much as possible with the 2016 on our long trip when we got it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  10. #10
    You mention the year 1992 but I don't know brake equipment on Ford Econoline as already posted first thought ABS system, difference in size van compared to your car.
    Also, when they changed booster did they do a pressure test on your brake system and check out ABS system?
    Older van then comes to mind they use have a rubber hose from front of brake booster to back of carb for vacuum.
    Had old Cadillac that started having slow stopping, kinda had think way ahead on stopping. I first checked wheel brake cylinders, all good with good pads all around. Then replaced master cylinder thinking it was going bed cause brake pedal would sink a bit when stopped and must be going bad. Then I replaced booster, still no good.
    When putting booster on hose to carb seemed to move greatly at carb. Took breather off and about 3-4" of that hose was rotten.
    Would of save bunch time and money if checked all that first.

Similar Threads

  1. ISO Econoline hand controls
    By tdirt in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM
  2. Ford Econoline 150 Handicap Accessible Van
    By pipmed in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  3. 1996 Ford Econoline 150
    By 24/7 Quad in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
  4. Modified 1997 Ford Econoline 150 For Sale
    By DMann1746 in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
  5. 2 New FREE Econoline Van Seats
    By Quadrant in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2002, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •