Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van carpeting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Van carpeting

I am uphostering my van and am wondering what type of carpet to use. I want to add padding for heat and noise. But the last think I want is to sink in and not be able to maneuver. I was considering rubber flooring. But that may be too hot and sound like an echo chamber. Any experience with this?

My previous minivan had carpet flooring, and over time due to wet/dirty tires, the carpet became stained and matted. There were worn areas that actually wore holes in it. My current van has a rubber floor. Very easy to clean, no wear.

That's what I was thinking at first. But my upholstery guy said it would get hot and you'd hear more road noise. I am leaning toward carpeting with padding and a rubber mat on top. That way it will have better heat and sound insulation and I won't sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    That's what I was thinking at first. But my upholstery guy said it would get hot and you'd hear more road noise. I am leaning toward carpeting with padding and a rubber mat on top. That way it will have better heat and sound insulation and I won't sink in.
    does the van have a lowered floor.

it would depend on what you put on the floor.

it most if not all cases rubber is much better.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    does the van have a lowered floor.

it would depend on what you put on the floor.

it most if not all cases rubber is much better.

jim
    No it doesn't have a lowered floor. It has a raised roof. I am going with 5mm rubber with insulation underneath it plus Dynamat insulation around the wheel wells, behind the speakers, around the dog house, and other critical ares for sound. The floor insulation is foam between two layers of metal foil.

I don't know how much the Dynamat will reduce noise in such an old van. But it's worth a shot.

Check this https://www.lizardskin.com/

and for the inside look at bed liner. I have some stuff that can be textured or smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Check this https://www.lizardskin.com/

and for the inside look at bed liner. I have some stuff that can be textured or smooth.
    Have you applied this to your van? I can feel the heat entering the cabin from the engine around the dog house. Don't know how to prevent that.

Have you applied this to your van? I can feel the heat entering the cabin from the engine around the dog house. Don't know how to prevent that.
    I have an old Jeep, no insulation. I put the bed liner in and throw foam house insulation down to keep it from burning my feet. I have seen the lizard skin on hot rods at shows and other stick on liners to prevent heat from big V8's from roasting the drivers.

if the guy working on your van doesn't know how to fix this, you have the wrong guy doing the work.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    if the guy working on your van doesn't know how to fix this, you have the wrong guy doing the work.

jim
    I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it was normal. Hence, I never brought it up with upholstery guy. I guess what the mechanic meant by normal was that there wasn't anything wrong mechanically. It's good to know there's an easy fix. I'll bring it up today with upholstery guy. Thanks.