Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Van carpeting

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Have you applied this to your van? I can feel the heat entering the cabin from the engine around the dog house. Don't know how to prevent that.
    I have an old Jeep, no insulation. I put the bed liner in and throw foam house insulation down to keep it from burning my feet. I have seen the lizard skin on hot rods at shows and other stick on liners to prevent heat from big V8's from roasting the drivers.

That's what I was thinking at first. But my upholstery guy said it would get hot and you'd hear more road noise. I am leaning toward carpeting with padding and a rubber mat on top. That way it will have better heat and sound insulation and I won't sink in.
    does the van have a lowered floor.

it would depend on what you put on the floor.

it most if not all cases rubber is much better.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    My 2010 Odyssey has Duraflor by Zenith Rubber. It looks brand new. It is not hot. I don't have anymore road noise with the rubber floor than I had with carpet in my last 3 vans. Last time I looked at aftermarket installation of Duraflor it was about $500-$600. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Braun-Entervan

No matter what floor surface you use, make sure your installer understands tie downs.

Duraflor: http://www.zenithrubber.com/rubber-f...s/default.html

Here is the look: https://www.mobilityworks.com/blog/r...ing-materials/

Its funny i'll aways remember when the VMI rep came in with a sample of the rubber and how proud he was of this cool new rubber they were installing in the vans.

He brought samples to leave with the dealers and went on about how its new stuff and they were the only ones using it.

I laughed when he gave it to me and asked why it was funny.

I told him its because we'd been installing the same stuff for more than 15 years.

He said no way its brand new stuff and no one else could get it.

We went into the parts dept and found a roll with quite a bit of dust on it (had probably been there for 10-15 years)

fwiwi: it does work well but we have a few people that have worn holes in it within just a few years.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Have you applied this to your van? I can feel the heat entering the cabin from the engine around the dog house. Don't know how to prevent that.

if the guy working on your van doesn't know how to fix this, you have the wrong guy doing the work.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

In both of my vans my mobility guy put down 3/8" plywood with out door carpeting on top. It worked very well. Wood is a great insulator.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

My van has carpeting but I took one of those clear vinyl carpet protectors (made to protect carpet from rolling office chairs) and cut it to fit in the drivers area. That helped protect the carpet. If I had to do again, I would go with rubberized flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    if the guy working on your van doesn't know how to fix this, you have the wrong guy doing the work.

jim
    I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it was normal. Hence, I never brought it up with upholstery guy. I guess what the mechanic meant by normal was that there wasn't anything wrong mechanically. It's good to know there's an easy fix. I'll bring it up today with upholstery guy. Thanks.

I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it was normal. Hence, I never brought it up with upholstery guy. I guess what the mechanic meant by normal was that there wasn't anything wrong mechanically. It's good to know there's an easy fix. I'll bring it up today with upholstery guy. Thanks.
    it is normal for a 26 year old van but can also be fixed/ improved upon.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    does the van have a lowered floor.

it would depend on what you put on the floor.

it most if not all cases rubber is much better.

jim
    No it doesn't have a lowered floor. It has a raised roof. I am going with 5mm rubber with insulation underneath it plus Dynamat insulation around the wheel wells, behind the speakers, around the dog house, and other critical ares for sound. The floor insulation is foam between two layers of metal foil.

I don't know how much the Dynamat will reduce noise in such an old van. But it's worth a shot.

I hate carpet, or anything else not easily cleaned. I always put down vinyl flooring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein