Thread: Taking a bath

Taking a bath

Hey everyone! This question is specific to those living with a SCI or someone who cares for someone living with a SCI. I'm T-9 paraplegic, and I am very active. One thing I miss doing is socking in a tub after a long day or a long workout. However, as most of you know it is good to have something between our bare skin, especially on our boney bottoms, and a hard surface. I am wondering what others might use to sit on in the tub so you don't have to worry about any type of skin injuries, and also just to be comfortable.

Thanks!!

Tim

Closed cell polyethylene foam might work. I believe its the type of foam used in life jackets and pool noodles. You'd need a way to hold it down until you got into the tub, but it should work and it would be easy to dry off.

When I win the lottery I'm going to have a specially designed tub that's big enough for me to stretch out in. Maybe big enough for two. :-)

Do an internet search for full body bathtub mats or pillows. There are various different ones. Here is an example:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just remember to move around a little. No one piece of equipment prevents pressure ulcers.

Enjoy your soak!

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This reminds me: I haven't had a bath in 23 years!

We have a deep soaking tub in the bathroom. I could get into it but never out!
    I've toyed with the idea of making a old looking steel arm on hinge-pins above it with antique wooden block and tackle to a seat-strap for egress.
    It would fold flat to the wall and look like it belonged in an old barn which is what this house is. I'd lag it to the vertical post that's between the triangular windows.

PS: regarding butt pressure: if the water's deep enough, there will be little or no pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfcs49; 05-22-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I wear a Jay Protector in the hot tub. One of the biggest problems with being a gimp is I float. Can't keep my butt on the floor.

I had a tub Put in where the seat is about level with the tub, then the side pulls up and seals. Once it fills up a bit I am able to turn around and sit in the deeper end and then turn the jets on. I know it was a bit expensive around 12k but state put in for me

A ceiling track lift is the safest way to transfer to a tub. As pfcs49 above says, the transfer out of the tub, especially when wet, is a lot more difficult than the transfer in, and is very hard on your shoulders.

You can also invest in a tub bench like one of these:

https://medmartonline.com/molly-bath...BoCcMoQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSaLTnm1npU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspzPUmAW7Q

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I bought a bath lift (used as the company that made them was bought out and the new ownership cancelled that line) and it's wonderful.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

been bathing everyday for 6 years (did not realize I was able to before - going on 9 years post C7 quad). I sit on a retired Stimulite cushion, hang it to dry in the tub after I'm done. Definitely watch my heels, move my legs around, as they do get red marks sometimes. I actually find deeper tubs to be easier to get out of - hang your legs over the side and they help pull you out as you lift yourself on to the ledge.