Thread: M5 vs V6

M5 vs V6

I am down to the wire to order my first power chair which I will also drive from. The finalists are the Permobil M5 and the Magic Mobility Frontier V6. Based on the response of the manufacturer reps so far I think the Permobil will have better support when there are problems. The Frontier will likely be better off-road which will admittedly be not that often. The one thing that keeps dragging me back to the V6 is the retractable docking pin for the car docking device. Q'straint tells me I can expect to loose 1-1/4 inch of ground clearance and that is bothering me, especially since that is in a perfect world and will likely be greater.

Comments on the two chairs?

Comments on the docking pin issue?

Thanks,
    John

Are you Driving a Mini Van or full size? I'm looking at an M3 which I will get the M5 upgrade, because I need it to fit my mini van. I get the demo tomorrow.

11243 M3 Corpus to M5 Corpus Conversion This option upgrades the Base to Group 4 (K0877 / K0884) and includes: upgrade to the 7.5 mph motor package, FlexLink Pro Suspension System and a 2 year warranty. The final price of the upgrade is based on the items selected below. Please request a quote for pricing. Also, please indicate if you want to include any of the following M5 exclusive options: Flat Free Aggressive Tread Tires, Phantom Grey Color Kit or Titan Blue Color
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I went with the M5. I need to get a new vehicle to handle the power chair so I am going to get a VMI Pacifica.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    I am down to the wire to order my first power chair which I will also drive from. The finalists are the Permobil M5 and the Magic Mobility Frontier V6. Based on the response of the manufacturer reps so far I think the Permobil will have better support when there are problems. The Frontier will likely be better off-road which will admittedly be not that often. The one thing that keeps dragging me back to the V6 is the retractable docking pin for the car docking device. Q'straint tells me I can expect to loose 1-1/4 inch of ground clearance and that is bothering me, especially since that is in a perfect world and will likely be greater.

Comments on the two chairs?

Comments on the docking pin issue?

Thanks,
    John

Sorry a bit late but I think you would get better customer care/experience with V6 and Innovation in Motion

Todd the GM over at IIM is hands down very customer centric and works hard to make the match fit.

Todd Libey
    General Manager
    Innovation In Motion
    201 Growth Parkway
    Angola, Indiana 46703 USA
    260.665.2769 Phone ext. 504
    260.665.3047 Fax
    todd@mobility-usa.com
    www.mobility-usa.com

There are some DMs that discourage the brand not sure why so buyer beware. Their chairs are strong and durable!

http://www.mobility-usa.com/frontier-v6-wheelchair.html

Remember before you ever buy a chair you need to test it to fit your needs, not all mini vans are the same fit and seeing more and more people getting a chair and then finding out they never checked the fit in the van and have no headroom!

Vans can have a clearance of 8, 10 and 12 inch lowered floors and your size and seat bottom and seat elevation can all take from head room.

Also drive tire size make a big difference to on how much head room you will have!

M 3 and M 5 are good chairs but with mid wheel you still have the potential of getting stuck on steep inclines and grass, gravel and or dirt.

The v6 has much more torque and can pretty well pull you out of most mid wheel terrain challenges!
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 06-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Are you Driving a Mini Van or full size? I'm looking at an M3 which I will get the M5 upgrade, because I need it to fit my mini van. I get the demo tomorrow.

11243 M3 Corpus to M5 Corpus Conversion This option upgrades the Base to Group 4 (K0877 / K0884) and includes: upgrade to the 7.5 mph motor package, FlexLink Pro Suspension System and a 2 year warranty. The final price of the upgrade is based on the items selected below. Please request a quote for pricing. Also, please indicate if you want to include any of the following M5 exclusive options: Flat Free Aggressive Tread Tires, Phantom Grey Color Kit or Titan Blue Color

FYI Group 4 are not fundable though CMA, Medicare, and private pay insurance.

If my ins. is willing to pay for a M5 why would they not pay for the M3 to M5 upgrade?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Sorry a bit late but I think you would get better customer care/experience with V6 and Innovation in Motion

Todd the GM over at IIM is hands down very customer centric and works hard to make the match fit.

Todd Libey
    General Manager
    Innovation In Motion
    201 Growth Parkway
    Angola, Indiana 46703 USA
    260.665.2769 Phone ext. 504
    260.665.3047 Fax
    todd@mobility-usa.com
    www.mobility-usa.com

There are some DMs that discourage the brand not sure why so buyer beware. Their chairs are strong and durable!

http://www.mobility-usa.com/frontier-v6-wheelchair.html

Remember before you ever buy a chair you need to test it to fit your needs, not all mini vans are the same fit and seeing more and more people getting a chair and then finding out they never checked the fit in the van and have no headroom!

Vans can have a clearance of 8, 10 and 12 inch lowered floors and your size and seat bottom and seat elevation can all take from head room.

Also drive tire size make a big difference to on how much head room you will have!

M 3 and M 5 are good chairs but with mid wheel you still have the potential of getting stuck on steep inclines and grass, gravel and or dirt.

The v6 has much more torque and can pretty well pull you out of most mid wheel terrain challenges!
    In order for me to get a Frontier I would probably have to settle for a
    Frontier V6 – Compact 40 Electric Wheelchair 35.2x25.7.

In order for me to get a Frontier I would probably have to settle for a
    Frontier V6 – Compact 40 Electric Wheelchair 35.2x25.7.
    Have you emailed Todd direct?

If my ins. is willing to pay for a M5 why would they not pay for the M3 to M5 upgrade?
    They cant tell you they will or will not fund chairs in advance, but once you go through the process as long as the chair is a group 3 then you are ok.

Once you change it to a group 4 then you will start having issues getting funding.

CMS sets the guide lines for Medicare and Medicaid and they set the direction that private insurance follows.

At it basic funding is for chair that help move one around the inside of one's home that is a group 3.

Group 4 are for outdoor use and the speed also can be increased.

Not to say its impossible just much harder.

I know one person that has a funded m5. Just wondering if the m5 has better suspension why not do the m5 to start?
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 06-03-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    They cant tell you they will or will not fund chairs in advance, but once you go through the process as long as the chair is a group 3 then you are ok.

Once you change it to a group 4 then you will start having issues getting funding.

CMS sets the guide lines for Medicare and Medicaid and they set the direction that private insurance follows.

At it basic funding is for chair that help move one around the inside of one's home that is a group 3.

Group 4 are for outdoor use and the speed also can be increased.

Not to say its impossible just much harder.

I know one person that has a funded m5. Just wondering if the m5 has better suspension why not do the m5 to start?

Size,
    Permo M5 37.5 x 25
    Permo M3 35.5 x 24

I did not email Todd.