Thread: Bladder exams

Bladder exams

What is the schedule I should be doing the bladder tests? I know ultrasounds should be yearly. Is it the same still with the cystoscopy and cystogram?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Varies but urodynamics should be done yearly or every other year. Cystoscopies done yearly if indwelling because there is a small chance of cancer.
    Cystoscopies done if bleeding or possibly frequent infections.
    CWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-18-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Urodynamics if one is on intermittent catheterization?

I was told different things by different physicians, all urologists, on this.

Whence went to the urologist he did not do any exam, just some questions and said I did not need to come in unless there is a problem. He told me people who Cath have a much lower chance of problems or cancer. So do I ask my primary for a referral to someone else?

lavendar lady - I would run not walk away from a urologist who told me that.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    Urodynamics if one is on intermittent catheterization?

I was told different things by different physicians, all urologists, on this.
    It is recommended that you have urodynamics every 2 years; more often if you are having problems with excessive urine leakage, a high number of UTIs (more than 2/year), or problems with AD related to your bladder.

You may want to consult the clinical practice guideline for urinary management for people with SCI...and share it with your urologist:

https://www.pva.org/CMSPages/GetFile...b-9c557bc21b34

(KLD)

That is what I thought especially hearing other folks getting tests done. Who should I be seeing? I only see my primary for med checks and getting my inr checked. My last sci left the hospital and I have not been able to find one that is not in downtown Minneapolis or st. Paul. My last visit they not do anything aside of the general questions. No exam, the room was so small they had to remove a chair and they stood. No room for my husband. I had been in this same room for my follow ups. Did not make sense for my husband and I to take the day off for this kind of a visit. Even in my primary clinic I had to threaten ada contact since they had to take me to the xray room for my pap and breast exam. They did not have a handicap assesable table, the nurse just said well we can help you up. No I am not out in the boonies , 15 miles out from Minneapolis. They have one now. Fortunately my doctor was pissed that she had to do it that way and she went to top person in the clinic.