Thread: Beer drinking and Cathing?

Beer drinking and Cathing?

Hello All,
    Newbie here and I have a question. I have always liked beer and continue to do so after my accident though at a more moderate level. While I am only into this whole thing a little over 4 months I am still getting a handle on how the body reacts to fluid intake vs output but in the last couple weeks I seem to have found a happy medium with no drastic swings one way or the other. With that said I have learned to drink slower and consumption is down to maybe three beers over 3-4 hours on the occasional "big" evening. Next weekend we have decided to go ahead and throw a party that we have thrown for the last 12 years. I imagine that over the 6-7 hours the party lasts for I may surpass 3 beers and just trying to figure out how to play this as this is uncharted waters for me. I know drinking hard alcohol would be easier but to be honest I just don't enjoy it as much as a good beer save for a wee dram every now and then.

Don't take this the wrong way but my best friend and I were at a party decades ago and there was a guy in a wheelchair who was completely drunk and annoying. Ever since then, and a bunch since my injury, we have used the phrase "No one likes a drunk guy in a wheelchair" so I do not plan on being "that guy".

Cheers,
    Jim

I think different people react differently. Alcohol seems to shutdown my kidneys or at least seriously slow them down as I can drink a couple beers and I won't have a decent cath for at least 8 hours whereas it's normally 4 hours. I actually love good, hoppy beers, but I only have 1 or 2 a week now as I figured out it was spiking my nerve pain for 2 days after drinking 3-4.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Random.
    If I'm drinking Guinness.. the inflow doesn't seem to equal the outflow... I can drink a considerable amount of Guinness and don't seem to pee much at all.
    On the other hand cheap lager mass produced beer like PBR seems to have the opposite effect, the outflow seems to outvolume the inflow, and I'm taking a good 500cc pee every hour

Plus the PBR beer makes my pee nice and clear and very light colored. makes a nice bladder flush

I don't drink as much beer as I did in my younger days but if I am going to have a few like the party you are describing, I wear a Bard leg bag 32 oz. and external cath . If you are having a few can just empty the bag until you get a chance to cath, and then put a clean leg bag back on.

I don't bother with straps or tubing for leg bag. I found early on that I was more likely to blow a cath with straps etc.

Condom cath attached to leg bag, but not if you have high pressure. Otherwise, gotta go every hour and not make any sudden movements, lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Condom cath attached to leg bag, but not if you have high pressure. Otherwise, gotta go every hour and not make any sudden movements, lol.
    Good point on the HBP Lynnifer, the road to dysreflexia. I thought after posting, alcohol is a CNS depressant so important to cath and not overdo on beer, especially if taking and kind of CNS med, pain , muscle relaxant. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Random.
    If I'm drinking Guinness.. the inflow doesn't seem to equal the outflow... I can drink a considerable amount of Guinness and don't seem to pee much at all.
    On the other hand cheap lager mass produced beer like PBR seems to have the opposite effect, the outflow seems to outvolume the inflow, and I'm taking a good 500cc pee every hour

Plus the PBR beer makes my pee nice and clear and very light colored. makes a nice bladder flush
    I'll have to echo these sentiments. Guinness and the like seem to have more time between caths. I love hoppy beer too and they seem to be at 2-3 and then once I crack the seal it's probably every 30 minutes if I drink at a moderate pace. If I want to hydrate whilst working outside or the garage and have a light beer then after 3-4, its every 30 mins. And pee is crystal clear. Wine - probably 4 glasses before I need to cath. Liquor - half a bottle

Not being able to sweat and regulate body temperature I just have to make sure I'm not drinking for too long in the heat, or else I get hit by a freight train.

In the older days, it was two beers if urine was looking cloudy! LOL
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    In the older days, it was two beers if urine was looking cloudy! LOL
    I always wondered about that. Does drinking one or two beers a day help with the bladder?